* scanning and parsing short strings
@ 1997-07-10 14:42 Christian Lindig
From: Christian Lindig @ 1997-07-10 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

[sorry - no french version]

Dear Caml enthusiasts,

many applications rely on protocols which they must parse. This can
be either done ad hoc using regular expressions or scanner/parser
generated by Camllex/yacc. Which method is advisable when the scanned
items are relative short strings (< 100 Bytes)? In general I would
prefer to use Camllex/yacc specifications in order not distribute the
different parsers over the whole application. On the other hand start-up
time of the scanner/lexer may be too high when used for small strings
(Lexing.from_string). Any advice?

The background of my question: I like to implement a CGI library. There
are many headers that are passed to a CGI application that need to
be parsed. I already took a look at the MMM code which uses a mixed
approach.

Christian

--
 Christian Lindig