* Q: Caml for number crunching and/or scripting?
@ 1997-09-11 10:58 Basile STARYNKEVITCH
From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH @ 1997-09-11 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: toumi

Hello All,

Are there anyone using CAML or Ocaml

  for numerical/physical/scientific applications (maybe number crunching)

  as an embeddable scripting langage

(both are possible: using CAML as a scripting langage driving low
level -eg Fortran- numerical routines)

[French]

Il y a t il des gens qui utilisent CAML

  pour des applications numériques/scientifiques/physiques

  comme langage de commande embarqué

(les deux sont possibles: utiliser CAML comme langage de commande
pilotant des routines de calcul de bas niveau en Fortran)

N.B. Any opinions expressed here are solely mine, and not of my organization.
N.B. Les opinions exprimees ici me sont personnelles et n engagent pas le CEA.

Basile STARYNKEVITCH   ----  Commissariat à l Energie Atomique
DRN/DMT/SERMA * CEA/Saclay bat.470 * 91191 GIF/YVETTE CEDEX * France
fax: (33) 01,69.08.85.68; phone: 01,69.08.40.66; home: 01,46.65.45.53
email: Basile . Starynkevitch @ cea . fr  (but remove white space)
I speak french, english, russian. Je parle français, anglais, russe.

* Re: Q: Caml for number crunching and/or scripting?
@ 1997-09-13 17:30 William Chesters
From: William Chesters @ 1997-09-13 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: Basile.Starynkevitch

Basile Starynkevitch writes:
 > Hello All,
 >
 > Are there anyone using CAML or Ocaml
 >
 > for numerical/physical/scientific applications (maybe number crunching)
 >
 > as an embeddable scripting langage
 >
 > (both are possible: using CAML as a scripting langage driving low
 > level -eg Fortran- numerical routines)

Yes, I use it for both actually.

I've used camlp4 (much recommended btw) to extend the syntax of ocaml
so that I can write matrix/tensor calculations using the summation
convention:

	tens v[I J] += w[I K J L] b[K L] + k a[I J]

and have a very efficient loop to do the work inserted automatically,
in C or in ML.

I keep the matrices in Fortran layout so that I can use Lapack
routines on them.  Using ocamlopt's -output-obj option you can even
squeeze in a call initialise the f2c libraries at startup time.

I've also taken to using ocaml for scripting jobs that are more
complicated than Perl can comfortably handle.  It's interesting that
ML's background as a very abstract language gives it some of the
conciseness and convenience of Perl, but without the flakiness.
On the other hand I'd rather have Perl's than emacs's regexps ...