* Re: config info
@ 1999-03-20  0:49 David Gurr
From: David Gurr @ 1999-03-20  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: itz; +Cc: caml-list

> >  Hi, The installation of ocaml based applications might be
> > simplified if the standard "make install" copied the config lib and
> > the config/Makefile to the library location.  Or if this is messy,
> > how about a "make install-devel" that does the copying? Thanks for
> > considering this detail.
>
> Tcl/Tk does this, and I absolutely hate it.  First of all, the config
> file is text,

The config lib is not text and could be extended to include all the
config/Makefile info.

> and in GNU-like environments it should go under the
> share tree, not under lib.  Second, and more important, it limits
> flexibility in the derived installations.

I *need* inflexiblity.  The point of .cmi files is the inflexiblity
of consistency.  I need to use the same compiler etc that was used
to build ocaml.

> This is partly a
> "philosophical" issue (see the last sentence of this message), but
> also a practical one: any bug in the original build is automatically
> propagated to the dependent ones.

Since the config lib is used to build ocaml, and the config/Makefile is
used to gen the config lib, if the config file is wrong, your ocaml
build will be wrong and installation of applications is a moot point.

> (With Tcl, this surfaced in the
> naming of shared libraries).

Perhaps I would understand your point if you explained this example.

> Some prefer life simplified; others prefer to keep control of it.

Re: philosophy: Why would knowing what C compiler was used to compile
& link the bytecode interp result in a loss of control?

-D

* Re: config info
@ 1999-03-19  4:04 ` Ian T Zimmerman
From: Ian T Zimmerman @ 1999-03-19  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Gurr; +Cc: caml-list

gurr@mrs.med.ge.com (David Gurr) writes:

>  Hi, The installation of ocaml based applications might be
> simplified if the standard "make install" copied the config lib and
> the config/Makefile to the library location.  Or if this is messy,
> how about a "make install-devel" that does the copying? Thanks for
> considering this detail.

Tcl/Tk does this, and I absolutely hate it.  First of all, the config
file is text, and in GNU-like environments it should go under the
share tree, not under lib.  Second, and more important, it limits
flexibility in the derived installations.  This is partly a
"philosophical" issue (see the last sentence of this message), but
also a practical one: any bug in the original build is automatically
propagated to the dependent ones.  (With Tcl, this surfaced in the
naming of shared libraries).

Some prefer life simplified; others prefer to keep control of it.

--
Ian T Zimmerman                        <itz@transbay.net>
I came to the conclusion that what was wrong about the guillotine

* config info
@ 1999-03-16 17:24 David Gurr
From: David Gurr @ 1999-03-16 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,
The installation of ocaml based applications might be simplified if
the standard "make install" copied the config lib and the config/Makefile
to the library location.  Or if this is messy, how about a "make
install-devel" that does the copying? Thanks for considering this
detail.  -David Gurr

PS Any suggestions for algorithms for tree (rather than line) oriented
diff/patch/merge?