* Power/PC Code?
@ 1999-03-25  4:27 David McClain
From: David McClain @ 1999-03-25  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liste CAML

I have some users on Power/PC Macintosh computers. I downloaded the OCAML
2.02 for Mac the other day, but was a bit disappointed to find that the
OCAMLOPT is absent. Is there any native code compiler for OCAML on Power/PC?

David McClain
Sr. Scientist
Raytheon Missile Systems Co.
Tucson, AZ
http://www.azstarnet.com/~dmcclain/homepage.htm

* Re: Power/PC Code?
@ 1999-03-25 19:42 ` doligez
From: doligez @ 1999-03-25 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David McClain; +Cc: Liste CAML

>From: "David McClain" <dmcclain@azstarnet.com>

>I have some users on Power/PC Macintosh computers. I downloaded the OCAML
>2.02 for Mac the other day, but was a bit disappointed to find that the
>OCAMLOPT is absent. Is there any native code compiler for OCAML on Power/PC?

There is, but only for machines running under some version of Unix.
For a Macintosh, that means MkLinux, Linux/PPC, or Rhapsody.  There
will be a port to MacOS X Server as soon as I get my hands on a
machine running it.  In the meantime, the Rhapsody configuration might
work for MacOS X.

As for MacOS, there is not much demand for highly optimized MPW tools,
so we didn't spend the week of work needed to interface ocamlopt with
the MPW assembler.

-- Damien

* Re: Power/PC Code?
@ 1999-03-26 13:40   ` Matías Giovannini
From: Matías Giovannini @ 1999-03-26 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Liste CAML

doligez@pa.dec.com wrote:

> >From: "David McClain" <dmcclain@azstarnet.com>
>
> >I have some users on Power/PC Macintosh computers. I downloaded the OCAML
> >2.02 for Mac the other day, but was a bit disappointed to find that the
> >OCAMLOPT is absent. Is there any native code compiler for OCAML on Power/PC?
>
> There is, but only for machines running under some version of Unix.
> For a Macintosh, that means MkLinux, Linux/PPC, or Rhapsody.  There
> will be a port to MacOS X Server as soon as I get my hands on a
> machine running it.  In the meantime, the Rhapsody configuration might
> work for MacOS X.
>
> As for MacOS, there is not much demand for highly optimized MPW tools,
> so we didn't spend the week of work needed to interface ocamlopt with
> the MPW assembler.
>
> -- Damien

And what about an OCamlDep/OCamlOpt combination CodeWarrior compiler plug-in?
A small runtime library could be written that would enable building
small stand-alone applications with a console-like interface.

Matías.

* Re: Power/PC Code?
@ 1999-03-26 19:45     ` doligez
From: doligez @ 1999-03-26 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matias; +Cc: Liste CAML

>From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mat=EDas?= Giovannini <matias@k-bell.com>

>And what about an OCamlDep/OCamlOpt combination CodeWarrior compiler plug-in?

I've looked at the CodeWarrior plug-in docs, and I still can't tell
whether you can get CW to run the assembler on the compiler's output.

>A small runtime library could be written that would enable building
>small stand-alone applications with a console-like interface.

The library is already written: it's the O'Caml application.  But
there's not much demand for that either.

-- Damien

* Power/PC Code?
@ 1999-03-28 11:26   ` Georg Bauer
From: Georg Bauer @ 1999-03-28 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi!

> As for MacOS, there is not much demand for highly optimized MPW tools,
> so we didn't spend the week of work needed to interface ocamlopt with
> the MPW assembler.

Uhm. I would really be interested. Since Ocamlopt doesn't currently work
under MachTen 4, I have the problem that I can't use it on my notebook.
To have it running under MPW would really be fun. Since most of the
other libraries like Mesa, GTK or TK are already available for the
MacOS, it might even work out to be a usefull alternative to other MPW
compilers.

bye, Georg