* Install problem
@ 1999-11-12 19:46 Fabien FLEUTOT
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Fabien FLEUTOT @ 1999-11-12 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I made an unofficial install of ocaml on my user account (no way to get
it installed by root...) Is there a way to force ocamlc to put
'#!/user/fleutotf/pub/ocaml/bin/ocamlrun' as a first line in the
executables it generates instead of '#!/usr/local/bin/ocamlrun' ?

* Re: Install problem
@ 1999-11-15 13:17 ` skaller
From: skaller @ 1999-11-15 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabien FLEUTOT; +Cc: caml-list

Fabien FLEUTOT wrote:

> I made an unofficial install of ocaml on my user account (no way to get
> it installed by root...) Is there a way to force ocamlc to put
> '#!/user/fleutotf/pub/ocaml/bin/ocamlrun' as a first line in the
> executables it generates instead of '#!/usr/local/bin/ocamlrun' ?

I'm no expert, but I'm told this is the wrong way to do it
and that the correct technique is:

#!/usr/bin/env ocamlc

since this finds the relevant version of ocamlc from your PATH.

--
John Skaller, mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au
1/10 Toxteth Rd Glebe NSW 2037 Australia

* Re: Install problem
@ 1999-11-15 16:31 ` Alain Frisch
From: Alain Frisch @ 1999-11-15 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabien FLEUTOT; +Cc: caml-list

> it installed by root...) Is there a way to force ocamlc to put
> '#!/user/fleutotf/pub/ocaml/bin/ocamlrun' as a first line in the
> executables it generates instead of '#!/usr/local/bin/ocamlrun' ?

If you accept to compile again :
./configure -bindir /user/fleutotf/pub/ocaml/bin ...

* Re: Install problem
@ 1999-11-15 17:28 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 1999-11-15 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabien FLEUTOT, caml-list

> I made an unofficial install of ocaml on my user account (no way to get
> it installed by root...) Is there a way to force ocamlc to put
> '#!/user/fleutotf/pub/ocaml/bin/ocamlrun' as a first line in the
> executables it generates instead of '#!/usr/local/bin/ocamlrun' ?

As Alain Frisch said, the best thing to do is to recompile the sources
after configuring in the right path names:

./configure -bindir /user/fleutotf/pub/ocaml/bin \
            -libdir /user/fleutotf/pub/ocaml/lib \
            <other options>

Otherwise, a quick fix is to edit the file "camlheader" found in the
OCaml standard library directory.  This file is copied verbatim at the
beginning of all bytecode executables generated by ocamlc.  With the
default configuration, it contains

        #!/usr/local/bin/ocamlrun

and you can try putting instead

        #!/user/fleutotf/pub/ocaml/bin/ocamlrun