* parameterized signatures
@ 1999-12-22 19:32 Chris Tilt
From: Chris Tilt @ 1999-12-22 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCAML

Bonjour. S'il vous plaît pardon le manque de Français aujourd'hui.
Merci.

I have read (although poorly understood) the recent postings regarding
the need for parameterized signatures, which I think would help. Please
let me ask the question a different way.

Is there a way to refer to the type of a functor defined by a .mli file
in another .mli file? I am attempting to build a parameterized type and
they build a sub-type which will provide a specific implementation of
that signature. My problem is in expressing the interface of the second
type to use the constructed type from the first file.

Since some people have asked for a generalized graph module, and I also
have the need, I am trying to package one. Here is a snipet to help
explain my question. The issue is in the very last line.

Sorry for the long post and example. BTW, this code is being used in
production of a real product! Thank you all for your support of a great
programming language!

Merci, Chris

---- pgraph.mli ----
(* supply the core graph functionality *)
module type ParameterizedGraphType =
  sig
    type t
    type edge
    type vertex
    val compare: t -> t -> int
  end

module type S =
  sig
    type vid
    type pEdge
    type vertex = Vertex of vid * pVertex
    type edge = Edge of vid * vid * pEdge
    type t
    type graph = t
    ... some functions ...
  end

module Make : functor (Param: ParameterizedGraphType) ->
  (S with type vid = Param.t
     and type pVertex = Param.vertex
     and type pEdge = Param.edge)

---- pgraph.ml -----
implements pgraph.mli in the usual way

---- wgraph.ml -----
(* use the ParameterizedGraphType module (Pgraph) to build a custom
   graph which has Html.window values as vertex attributes. This is
   used by the old-generation profiler product *)
module type WindowGraphType =
  sig
    type t = string
    type vertex = Html.window
    type edge = float * float
    val compare: string -> string -> int
  end

=====> the problem area. How do I express the type of this module?
module type Wgraph = Pgraph.S ???

* Re: parameterized signatures
@ 1999-12-23 10:44 ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 1999-12-23 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Tilt; +Cc: OCAML

Hello,

> Is there a way to refer to the type of a functor defined by a .mli file
> in another .mli file?

> =====> the problem area. How do I express the type of this module?
> module type Wgraph = Pgraph.S ???

Acessing .mli-files as signatures is currently not possible. If I remember
right, I have already asked once whether this could be allowed, but I was
told that this would cause confusions about module names and module-type
names.

Therefore, if I use functors I normally do not use an .mli-file to restrict
the interface, but split up the code in something like:

  foo_intf.ml
  foo_impl.ml

and restrict the modules/functors explicitely.

"foo_intf.ml" contains, for example:

  module type SPEC = sig ... end
  module type T = sig ... end

and "foo_impl.ml":

  open Foo_intf

  module Make (Spec : SPEC) : (T with ...) = struct ... end

Sometimes it is necessary to "reexport" types from the "specification"
module.

Then I do this like:

  module Make (Spec_ : SPEC) : (T with ...) = struct
    module Spec = Spec_
    open Spec
  end

Of course, the signature T will then have to include something like:

  module type SPEC = sig ... end

  module type T = sig
    module Spec : SPEC
    open Spec
  end

and will thus make available all types in "Spec".

I hope this helps!

Best regards,
Markus Mottl

--