* ANNOUNCE ocamldap-2.0.3
@ 2005-01-15  0:12 Eric Stokes
From: Eric Stokes @ 2005-01-15  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello All,

This is announcing the immediate release of ocamldap v2.0.3. Because of
my busy schedule I did not announce the release of 2.0, however this
release seems to be "stable", and I have more time, so I will announce
it now.

ocamldap 2.0 features/changes
The Good
-- Another C binding bites the dust! Ocaml implementation of the wire
protocol, implements the lber subset of ber (useful in itself for
anyone working on ASN.1 stuff), no a C binding! I am very excited about
this, it was fun code to write, and I am pleased with the performance
given the time we spent. Some of you may recall that we promised to do
this about 6 months ago, and lo, we have delivered.
-- The most exciting consequence of the native implementation of the
protocol is that we now are not only a client library. We also provide
a library for constructing LDAP SERVERS! We are very excited about
this, and we already have a daemon based on this in the late stages of
development.
-- Optional SSL and TLS support via Samuel Mimram's ocaml-ssl binding
(requires openssl)

The Bad
-- The native implementation is not as fast as the C implementation. It
IS within an order of magnitude on all tested platforms, and we are
confident that we can do better. Coming close to the C implementation
may be possible.

The Ugly
-- Unfortunately, we were forced for the sake of the future to make
some API changes. So Ocamldap 2.x is NOT backward compatible with 1.x.
The changes are not extensive however. The exception LDAP_Failure has
been augmented to include all the error information sent back by the
server. This is especially important for processing referrals, for
which there was no support in 1.x. The module names have been
reorganized and standardized, hopefully they will now be less
confusing. The init function now takes a list of servers instead of
just one, and each server is an ldap url instead of a host/port. The
use of this is that init will try each server in the list, and if
host-names with more than one IP are included it will try each IP
(round robin DNS). This integrates with the transparent reconnection
capabilities to allow the user to configure a pool of ldap servers to
talk to, and if any ONE is working then the library will continue to
work.

License
Since all the code has been rewritten it is now released under the LGPL
instead of the BSD license

Obtaining Ocamldap
best obtained via godi
also available from http://ocamldap.sourceforge.net/

Eric Stokes
Analyst Programmer
California State University Northridge

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-01-15  0:12 UTC | newest]