From: James Woodyatt <jhwoodyatt@mac.com>
To: The Caml Trade <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Can GC be BLOCKed?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:07:47 -0800	[thread overview]

On Nov 29, 2006, at 4:33 PM, Neal Wang wrote:

> I have a function which cannot be interrupted by GC?  Is there a
> way to BLOCK GC when the function is called.  Thanks

We're getting some interesting spam on the OCaml list now.  Just
after the message above appeared in my inbox, there came the
following...

On Nov 29, 2006, at 5:22 PM, Rosendo Larson wrote:

> The lot is cast into the heap, but the whole disposing there of is
> of the Lord. There never was a great soul that did not have some
> divine inspiration.

At first, I thought this was intended to be a serious response to the
question.

I don't think you can stop collection from happening by explicitly
blocking it in the GC, but if you know how much memory your function
will allocate, you might be able to get a winning workaround by
modifying the GC control parameters for space_overhead and
major_head_increment.  Use the verbose flag to see if your function
is triggering the collection phase.

—
j h woodyatt <jhw@conjury.org>
http://jhw.vox.com/