* minimum system requirements
@ 2005-01-17 12:11 AEG
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: AEG @ 2005-01-17 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

Does anyone know what the absolute minimum system requirements are to
run OCaml (in terms of processor speed, RAM and disk space?

Is anyone aware of efforts to run OCaml on embedded linux platforms?
It seems that if this was possible, there could be some very nice
applications out there...

Thanks in advance.

Nick

* Re: [Caml-list] minimum system requirements
@ 2005-01-17 12:28 ` Alex Baretta
From: Alex Baretta @ 2005-01-17 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AEG, Ocaml

AEG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know what the absolute minimum system requirements are to
> run OCaml (in terms of processor speed, RAM and disk space?
>
> Is anyone aware of efforts to run OCaml on embedded linux platforms?
> It seems that if this was possible, there could be some very nice
> applications out there...
>
> Thanks in advance.

We do embedded-Ocaml on fairly powerful embedded PCs, such as ULV
Centrinos with 512 MB of RAM and 512 MB of flash disk.

Alex

http://www.barettadeit.com/
Baretta DE&IT
A division of Baretta SRL

tel. +39 02 370 111 55
fax. +39 02 370 111 54

Our technology:

The Application System/Xcaml (AS/Xcaml)
<http://www.asxcaml.org/>

The FreerP Project
<http://www.freerp.org/>

* Re: [Caml-list] minimum system requirements
@ 2005-01-17 16:18 ` Chris King
From: Chris King @ 2005-01-17 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AEG; +Cc: caml-list

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 07:11:54 -0500, AEG <aeg101@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know what the absolute minimum system requirements are to
> run OCaml (in terms of processor speed, RAM and disk space?

I've written, compiled, and run O'Caml programs comfortably on a 486DX
(33MHz maybe?) with 8MB of RAM.  The compiler/interpreter takes up a
non-trivial amount of hard disk space (around 30MB), but since the
natively compiled executables are statically linked with the O'Caml
libraries, they can be distributed without any more dependencies than
that of a C binary.  At runtime, O'Caml programs generally use around
half a megabyte of RAM, which is not much more than an equivalent C
program.

* Re: [Caml-list] minimum system requirements
@ 2005-01-17 18:02 ` Eric C. Cooper
From: Eric C. Cooper @ 2005-01-17 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 07:11:54AM -0500, AEG wrote:
> Does anyone know what the absolute minimum system requirements are to
> run OCaml (in terms of processor speed, RAM and disk space?
>
> Is anyone aware of efforts to run OCaml on embedded linux platforms?
> It seems that if this was possible, there could be some very nice
> applications out there...

I've run the OCaml interpreter, and native-compiled executables, on
the 400 MHz ARM processor in a Sharp Zaurus, with about 32 MB of RAM.

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u