* Printf and "%a"
@ 2005-04-09 19:43 Aaron Bohannon
From: Aaron Bohannon @ 2005-04-09 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

The behavior of the "%a" format string in the Printf module does not
seem to match the documentation.

# Printf.printf "%a" ;;
- : (out_channel -> '_a -> unit) -> '_a -> unit = <fun>
# Printf.sprintf "%a" ;;
- : (unit -> '_a -> string) -> '_a -> string = <fun>

The first type exactly matches the one that would be expected based
upon reading the documentation.  The second type surprised me because
the only documentation for sprintf is:  "Same as Printf.fprintf, but
instead of printing on an output channel, return a string containing
the result of formatting the arguments."

On an intuitive level, I can understand that it makes some sense to
require a user-defined printer that returns a string in the case of
sprintf.  However, the need for the function to first take a unit
argument is not intuitive at all to me, and it seems to hinder the
usefulness of the mechanism because it is not likely that one would
have already defined a printer function that has that type and can
simply be plugged in.  So I guess one will generally have to write:

   let s = Printf.sprintf "...%a..." (fun () -> thing_to_string) thing ;;

Then there's kprintf:

# fun k -> Printf.kprintf k "%a" ;;
- : (string -> 'a) -> (unit -> 'b -> string) -> 'b -> 'a = <fun>

It appears to follow the behavior of sprintf, but I read a comment in
the newsgroup archives that indicated there was more complexity with
the interaction of kprintf and "%a" format strings.  Does this
interaction ever change the type of the user-defined printer that is
expected by kprintf?  Again, the documentation misleadingly silent
about "%a" patterns used with kprintf.

--
Aaron Bohannon
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bohannon/

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-04-09 19:43 UTC | newest]