* to have labels or not
@ 2000-03-17 19:30 Jan Brosius
From: Jan Brosius @ 2000-03-17 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I am looking around to have a good , free and very easy language , portable
and so on, producing fast code. Objective Caml was and still is for me a
serious candidate among the many free portable languages on the net. I
realise that it is not up to me to enforce a decision . I also realize that
credits always should be given to the implementors and France's research
institute INRIA.

My personal choice is not to use labels at all because it makes the readable
code  too big, it is better I think  to use meaningful words and within
comments to clarify the types of the functions.

I think I would never use the "label on " option.

function x -> ..   could be shortened  by : \x ->.....  I think and the use
of [`a] instead of  `a list and the use of  list comprensions as in Haskell
could shorten the readable code and maintain readability.

friendly et amicalement

Jan Brosius

* Re: to have labels or not
@ 2000-03-25 14:46 Damien Doligez
From: Damien Doligez @ 2000-03-25 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

>From: Jacques Garrigue <garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp>

>The only weakness of this approach is if you copy some code from a
>file in classic mode to one in commuting label mode (or reverse).
>Then you have to add/remove labels by hand.  But then this is also a
>way to understand the code better :-)

I know that Jacques is perfectly aware of it, but I think it's good
to stress this point:

Even the above is not entirely true.  If you suspect you'll have to
change modes, you can write code that works in both modes, simply by
giving all labels in the right order in every function
application.  It's even reasonable to write all your code in this
fashion.

And if you didn't do it in advance: to go from classic to commuting
label mode, add the labels.  To go from commuting label to classic
mode, don't remove the labels but put the function arguments back in
the right order.  In either case, the resulting code works in both
modes and you'll never need to change it again.

-- Damien

* Re: to have labels or not
@ 2000-04-07  2:44 Hao-yang Wang
From: Hao-yang Wang @ 2000-04-07  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Brian Rogoff wrote:
>John Skaller already answered your points, and anyways since having two
>libraries is in no way an elegant solution I'll leave it alone. I still
>think that having two modes makes it harder to explain OCaml and much
>harder for me to promote it in industry to my colleagues, which is my main
>concern.

Well, there have already been lots of compilers with two modes, for C and
C++. Both C and C++ are widely accepted in industry.

Cheers,
Hao-yang Wang