* convenient features
@ 2000-06-28  9:44 David Chemouil
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: David Chemouil @ 2000-06-28  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi

participating to a former discussion about convenient features which
could be added to the Caml system, I'd like to inform you of a few
critics, constructive critics of course ;-)

1. One thing that really bothers me is the obligation to put object
files in the good order, when linking them. As it is possible to
generate the dependency graph (ocamldot does it), wouldn't it be
possible for the linker to "flatten" it, in order for it to find alone
the good order? It seems to me that it works in C for example. So, one
would just have to put necessary object files on the command line, in
any order. 'Cause when you have 50 object files, or so, it's really
boring to find dependencies "by hand".

2. The second point is minor: it seems to me you only need to put the
'-thread' option when your program uses the 'threads.cm[x]a' library. So
it must be possible to remove the '-thread' option, and have the
compiler guess that the program is multithreaded when it sees
'threads.cm[x]a' on the command line.

3. The last point seems important to me. When you use bytecode threads,
marshalling with the Marshal module doesn't work well. Isn't it possible
that the compiler automatically replaces it by a working one, like it
does with Pervasives?

dc

--
David Chemouil [mailto:chemouil@enseeiht.fr] [mobile: 06 84 16 26 65]

Laboratoire d'informatique et de mathématiques appliquées (IRIT-INPT)

"Je vous ai fait trop faibles pour sortir du gouffre, parce que
 je vous ai fait assez forts pour n'y point tomber" -- Rousseau