* .Net
@ 2000-08-29 12:32 Guillaume Randon
From: Guillaume Randon @ 2000-08-29 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Excusez moi si cette question a déjà été postée mais je n'ai rien trouvé
dans les archives et je n'ai pas suivi cette liste de distribution depuis un
certain temps.

Y a t'il des projets de portage de Caml vers l'Universal Runtime faisant
partie du framework .net de microsoft ?

Bonne journée tous le monde,

guillaume randon

http://profiles.msn.com.

* Re: .Net
@ 2000-09-04 15:42 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2000-09-04 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Randon, caml-list

[Guillaume Randon asked about Caml and the Microsoft .NET common
runtime system.  I reply in English because this is of general interest.]

> Y a t'il des projets de portage de Caml vers l'Universal Runtime faisant
> partie du framework .net de microsoft ?

Yes.  In the spring of '99, Microsoft Research approached us, along
with other academic groups working on modern programming languages, to
work on this new technology.  One of us (Bruno Pagano) has been
working for about one year on a port of Objective Caml to the .net
infrastructure, under support from Microsoft Research.

Bruno has a prototype port that works relatively well (better than
expected initially), but still shows that the .net common runtime
system is not a perfect fit for OCaml.

I'm not sure I can give more details (Microsoft may not have released
all technical specs yet), but in summary, .net is a technology we
follow closely, although it is still unclear whether it is the future
of OCaml for Windows.

- Xavier Leroy