* Re: WWW Page of Team PLClub (Re: ICFP programming contest: results)
@ 2000-10-05 10:33 David McClain
From: David McClain @ 2000-10-05 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eijiro_sumii, caml-list

Hi, Congratulations!!!!

Could you provide a reference to de Bruijin indexing? I recall reading about
it some time ago, and after having searched my books here, I cannot find any
references to it. So I probably saw it in a paper some time ago... Anyway, I
would be interested since I have an interpreter name-lookup problem here
too.

Thanks in advance,

Congrats!!!

- David McClain

Date: Wednesday, October 04, 2000 10:26 PM
Subject: WWW Page of Team PLClub (Re: ICFP programming contest: results)

@ 2000-10-05 22:46 David McClain
From: David McClain @ 2000-10-05 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I would think that you would get into trouble with a closure representation
because there is no equality operation defined on them, and you would have
to evaluate the closure to obtain the value representing the name... that
sounds overly expensive in time and space.

- DM

From: Xavier Leroy @ 2000-09-21  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Here are the official results for the ICFP 2000 programming contest:

First prize: the PLClub team from University of Pennsylvania
(J. Vouillon, H. Hosoya, V. Gapeyev, E. Sumii).  Language used: OCaml.

Second prize: the Camls 'R Us team from INRIA Rocquencourt
(S. Ailleret, P. Cuoq, D. Doligez, R. Harley, F. Le Fessant, X. Leroy,
A. Schmitt).  Language used: OCaml.

Third place: the Galois Connection team from the start-up company with
the same name (J. Launchbury and 4 other persons whose names I
couldn't write down).  Language used: Haskell.

Fourth place: a team of 13 distributed among Australia, Belgium and
the UK, including F. Henderson.  Language used: Mercury.

Judge's prize for the best sample image: a chess game by team Helikopter
(A. Rossberg, L. Kornstaed) from U. Saarlandes (I think).

There were 39 entries, with teams ranging from 1 to 13 persons.
Breakdown by language used:

        C, C++          7
        Clean           1
        Dylan           1
        Eiffel          1
        Haskell         6
        Java            6
        Mercury         1
        ML              9
        Perl            2
        Python          1
        Scheme          2
        Smalltalk       2

Not a bad year for OCaml.  And my personal congratulations to Jérôme
Vouillon and his friends for a truly outstanding performance!

- Xavier Leroy