* make and large projects
@ 2001-02-01  3:13 Juergen Pfitzenmaier
From: Juergen Pfitzenmaier @ 2001-02-01  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ocaml users,
the following is loosly connected with the discussion a few days ago on
structuring large projects and the use of make in this list.

2 years ago I evaluated several tools  that claim to replace make. Two of
them  seemed the most promising: cook and cons; but I wasn't content with
them.  So I considered writing my own.  But then my interests shifted and
the people I was working with at that time didn't seem too interested and
so the project died.
I still have some of the papers from that project and I believe that a group
of 3-4 could write a good replacement for make in reasonable time.

Q: So what is missing ?
A: Programmers with experience in building large, complex projects who
   want to change the way projects are build. I need someone to talk to
   to clarify my ideas.

You will say these people are easy to find. I have met many programmers
complaining about make but the pain was not deep enough to make them
really think about alternatives.
If someone wants to discuss make replacements please write to me.

-- pfitzen

only message in thread, other threads:[~2001-02-01  8:28 UTC | newest]