From: Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@inria.fr>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re:  OCaml's long range graphical direction?
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 11:28:51 +0100	[thread overview]

Actually, I just tried using GTK on windows yesterday, and it seems to
be fully functional (I'm just having trouble raising windows, but it
certainly is because I'm a beginner with this api).

>> I've heard lots of good things about GTK, and it looks more powerful
>> than TK, so it might be the wave of the future.  However, it is my
>> impression that the Windows port of GTK is lagging behind.  Also, the
>
>Err, i don't think so, haven't tried it though, don't own a windows box to
>play with it, nor am i in the mood to invest in microsoft developpment tools.

I must point out here that I did not use any Microsoft development
tool to write my program. I just got emacs, and mingw32 gcc (a gcc that
can generate easily win32 native code, which is recommended by the
gimp/gtk for windows web page). It worked fine, out of the box.

I haven't tried running lablgtk on windows, because I only have ocaml
installed for cygwin, not natively (and gtk is more problematic to use
with cygwin). Also, since I'm developping an application that is to be
used on machines where cygwin is not installed, it would mean one more
dll to add to the binary (and I'm not even thinking about license
issues ;-)

Amicalement,

Alan Schmitt

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.