From: Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>
To: Jean Martos <jean.martos@wanadoo.fr>
Cc: lionel.fourquaux@wanadoo.fr, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: OCaml for Windows: a suggestion
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:52:22 +0100	[thread overview]

> This is a good idea. But I think that the most important job to do
> for OCaml on Windows is to port it under gcc. I already compile it
> with mingw32. I do it because I need to interface OCaml and gnat,
> and for the moment it runs fine.

I did a Cygwin port of OCaml a few months ago.  It is available for
testing from the CVS repository (http://camlcvs.inria.fr/), and will
be available publically in the forthcoming 3.01 release.

Everything works (including the debugger!) except the threads library,
the COM interface via CamlIDL, and the toplevel GUI application.

This port uses full Cygwin, not the Mingw subset.

For the time being, the MSVC port is still maintained, but it is clear
that we at INRIA don't have the resources to work on two Windows ports
in parallel -- one port is already enough of a pain...  So, one of the
ports will eventually have to go or be maintained by others.

Enjoy,

- Xavier Leroy