From: Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>
To: " Sébastien Pierre " <kaze@mail.netcourrier.com>
Cc: CaML List <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] BeOS Thread or Systhread libs
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 15:06:26 +0200	[thread overview]

> Well, while still trying to compile findlib I ran into a problem with
> the Mutex module. I know that BeOS has no pthread support for now...
> but isn't it possible to port the scheduler.c file to BeOS.

I looked briefly into this some time ago, and it seemed easier to port
the "system threads" library (the one that builds upon OS-level
threads) than the "bytecode threads" library (the one that performs
its own scheduling at the level of the virtual machine, i.e. the
scheduler.c file).

One reason is that the bytecode-level scheduler is rather
Unix-specific, in particular it assumes that select() works on all
kinds of file descriptors, not just sockets, and I think this is one
point where BeOS departs from Unix.

If anyone wants to attempt a BeOS port of the system threads library,
I can answer questions about this, but I lack time and motivation to
do it myself.

- Xavier Leroy