From: Jacques Garrigue <garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
To: kahl@heraklit.informatik.unibw-muenchen.de
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Future of labels
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:43:48 +0900	[thread overview]

From: kahl@heraklit.informatik.unibw-muenchen.de

> I am a long-time label user (having started when OCaml still was
> Caml Special Light) and I have therefore gone through quite a few
> relabellings of the standard library.
> They never really hurt me (with a 50 module 30000 line project) ---
> only when labels went away, it meant trouble.
> (To make it clear: I ONLY use label mode and do not intend to switch.)

Indeed, when a label disappears you cannot commute anymore, and this
is a pain. I explained it in detail, but ...

> Jacques' words seem to indicate that there seems to be a
> complete unlabelling of the standard library in the works ---
> I must confess that I do not like that at all.
> (Is my interpretation right? I got the impression that
>  this was the only change intended for label mode.)
> Especially for the ``f'' label!

No, no. Nothing decided yet.
What I was thinking of was having a special module Stdlabels for
die-hard labelers like you and me, so you would just have to do
"open Stdlabels" at the top of your files, and get all the current
labels in Pervasives, List, String and Array.
There are not many labels left in other modules anyway :-(
One could say that this is still two modes, but at least the semantics
is the same.

> And I do find the labels in the standard library useful with OCamlBrowser --
> I use that much more than my copy of the html-version of the OCaml manual!

That's the most serious problem for me, and this is even why I first
devised this two-mode system a year ago, rather than using the
Stdlabels scheme. I hoped that people would enjoy ocamlbrowser like you
and me.
Surprisingly, they do not seem to use it that much... habits, lack of
advertisement ?

Cheers,

Jacques