* [Caml-list] petty complaints
@ 2001-04-02  4:26 Brian Rogoff
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Brian Rogoff @ 2001-04-02  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

advice and ported the Mosml substring library to OCaml. This exercise
raised a question which I've had before but never seen asked or answered,
namely, why doesn't OCaml use something like SML's order datatype
GREATER | EQUAL | LESS for comparison rather than an integer? It seems
against the spirit of static typing. What's the rationale? Efficiency?
Hysterical raisins?

    Another unrelated trifling question concerns the syntax of numerical
literals. Would it be possible to allow a la Ada the insertion of _s in
a numerical literal so instead of 1000000,10000000,and 100000000 we could
write 1_000_000, 10_000_000, 100_000_000? Of course, as in Ada, you could
allow wrongly positioned or superfluous _s (1_00_00_______0) but I think
this trivial change can make reading numbers a bit nicer.

-- Brian

* [Caml-list] Petty complaints
@ 2001-04-24 15:23 Brian Rogoff
From: Brian Rogoff @ 2001-04-24 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,
    I'd like to be able to treat the types "defined" in the Pervasives
module as if they really were defined there. This way I could reuse
type names like array, char, string, and list cleanly by referring to
the built-ins by their qualified names. Why doesn't it work that way now?
It would even be nice to be able to have the OCaml library modules be
referable by qualified names, like Pervasives.List, Pervasives.Array, etc...

    Someone recently got bit by the mutable nature of the OCaml built in
strings. I looked at the mailing list and there was mention that a long
time ago Caml had immutable strings (ropes?) and arrays, but that no one
used them. I'm building some stuff using version arrays now (Martin
Erwig's Functional Graph Library) and while they're simple enough to write
in OCaml I bet built in immutable arrays would be much faster.

-- Brian