* [Caml-list] Help using unix library?
@ 2001-04-19 20:33 Steve Stevenson
From: Steve Stevenson @ 2001-04-19 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Good afternoon:

     I have references to the unix library using ocaml 3.01. The make
file has

     ebv0: $(BASICOBJECTS)
	ocamlc -g -o ebv0 unix.cma $(BASICOBJECTS)
	cp ebv0 Test/ebv0

where BASICOBJECTS are all ocaml .cmo files. The complaint is

Fatal error: this bytecode file cannot run on this bytecode interpreter
Mismatch on primitive `unix_dup'

Does this sound like an installation problem or a mistake in my
coding? I'm not using dup.

Best regards,

steve

* Re: [Caml-list] Help using unix library?
@ 2001-04-23 19:52 ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2001-04-23 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Stevenson, caml-list

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Steve Stevenson wrote:
>Good afternoon:
>
>     I have references to the unix library using ocaml 3.01. The make
>file has
>
>     ebv0: $(BASICOBJECTS)
>	ocamlc -g -o ebv0 unix.cma $(BASICOBJECTS)
>	cp ebv0 Test/ebv0
>
>where BASICOBJECTS are all ocaml .cmo files. The complaint is
>
>Fatal error: this bytecode file cannot run on this bytecode interpreter
>Mismatch on primitive `unix_dup'
>
>Does this sound like an installation problem or a mistake in my
>coding? I'm not using dup.

Try

ocamlc -custom -g -o ebv0 unix.cma $(BASICOBJECTS)

This makes ebv0 a bit larger, but avoids that problem because ebv0 contains the
bytecode interpreter that is able to execute the code. By default (without
-custom), the generated executable uses the distributed ocamlrun interpreter.

Another solution is to create the right interpreter:

ocamlc -make-runtime -o myinterpreter unix.cma

(you must enumerate all libraries that refer to additional C libraries), then

ocamlc -use-runtime myintepreter -g -o ebv0 unix.cma $(BASICOBJECTS)

Gerd

* Re: [Caml-list] Help using unix library?
@ 2001-04-24  9:23   ` Sven LUTHER
From: Sven LUTHER @ 2001-04-24  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Stolpmann; +Cc: Steve Stevenson, caml-list

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 09:52:01PM +0200, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Steve Stevenson wrote:
> >Good afternoon:
> >
> >     I have references to the unix library using ocaml 3.01. The make
> >file has
> >
> >     ebv0: $(BASICOBJECTS)
> >	ocamlc -g -o ebv0 unix.cma $(BASICOBJECTS)
> >	cp ebv0 Test/ebv0
> >
> >where BASICOBJECTS are all ocaml .cmo files. The complaint is
> >
> >Fatal error: this bytecode file cannot run on this bytecode interpreter
> >Mismatch on primitive `unix_dup'
> >
> >Does this sound like an installation problem or a mistake in my
> >coding? I'm not using dup.
>
> Try
>
> ocamlc -custom -g -o ebv0 unix.cma $(BASICOBJECTS)
>
> This makes ebv0 a bit larger, but avoids that problem because ebv0 contains the
> bytecode interpreter that is able to execute the code. By default (without
> -custom), the generated executable uses the distributed ocamlrun interpreter.

But you loose the portability of the bytecode by doing this. This may not be a
problem for you though.

Friendly,

Sven Luther