* [Caml-list] copy file
@ 2001-04-26 16:54 Mark Scheffer
From: Mark Scheffer @ 2001-04-26 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello Caml users,

I'm new to caml and have compiled this cp.ml file on my windows system using
"ocamlc -o cp.exe cp.ml".
However, I do not get any response when trying to use it. Is there an error
in the file?

Thanks in advance for any help that might get this to work.

- Mark.

---

(* File copier.ml *)

let copy inch outch =
 (* inch and outch are supposed to be opened channels *)
 try (* actual copying *)
  while true
  do output_char outch (input_char inch)
  done
 with End_of_file -> (* Normal termination *)
   raise End_of_file
  | Sys_error msg -> (* Abnormal termination *)
   prerr_endline msg;
   raise (Failure "cp")
  | _ -> (* Unknown exception, maybe interruption? *)
   prerr_endline "Unknown error while copying";
   raise (Failure "cp")
;;

let cp f1 f2 =
 (* Opening channels, f1 firsty, then f2 *)
 let inch =
  try open_in f1
  with Sys_error msg ->
   prerr_endline (f1^": "^msg);
   raise (Failure "cp")
  | _ -> prerr_endline ("Unknown exception while opening "^f1);
   raise (Failure "cp")
in
let outch =
 try open_out f2
 with Sys_error msg ->
   close_in inch;
   prerr_endline (f2^": "^msg);
   raise (Failure "cp")
  | _ -> close_in inch;
   prerr_endline ("Unknown exception while opening "^f2);
   raise (Failure "cp")
in (* Copying and then closing *)
 try copy inch outch
 with End_of_file -> close_in inch; close_out outch
      (* close_out flushes *)
  | exc -> close_in inch; close_out outch; raise exc

;;

* Re: [Caml-list] copy file
@ 2001-04-26 17:10 ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2001-04-26 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Scheffer; +Cc: caml-list

Hi,

Correctly indenting the second function, you get:
let cp f1 f2 =
 (* Opening channels, f1 firsty, then f2 *)
 let inch =
  try open_in f1
  with Sys_error msg ->
   prerr_endline (f1^": "^msg);
   raise (Failure "cp")
  | _ -> prerr_endline ("Unknown exception while opening "^f1);
   raise (Failure "cp")
 in
 let outch =
  try open_out f2
  with Sys_error msg ->
    close_in inch;
    prerr_endline (f2^": "^msg);
   raise (Failure "cp")
   | _ -> close_in inch;
    prerr_endline ("Unknown exception while opening "^f2);
    raise (Failure "cp")
 in (* Copying and then closing *)
  try copy inch outch
  with End_of_file -> close_in inch; close_out outch
       (* close_out flushes *)
   | exc -> close_in inch; close_out outch; raise exc
;;

So basically you just define a function here ... If you never call it,
nothing happens.

Alan

* Re: [Caml-list] copy file
@ 2001-04-26 17:25 ` Georges Brun-Cottan
From: Georges Brun-Cottan @ 2001-04-26 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zax; +Cc: caml-list

>  I'm new to caml and have compiled this cp.ml file on my windows system using
>  "ocamlc -o cp.exe cp.ml".
>  However, I do not get any response when trying to use it. Is there an error
>  in the file?

Mark, your program works fine. But you simply forgot to invoke your
function ;-)

Add the following line at the end of your program and it will do what
you expect:

let _ = cp Sys.argv.(1) Sys.argv.(2)

or

let _ = cp "foo" "bar"
(to copy an existing file "foo" to a file "bar".)

BTW, zax@chello.nl returns a permanent mail error. You should fix
that.

Best,

-- Georges