From: Peter Ronnquist <pronnquist@yahoo.com>
To: Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>
Cc: Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>,
	Chris Hecker <checker@d6.com>,
	caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] How to synchtonize swap buffers with vertical retrace in lablgk/lablgtk, or labgl/labltk,
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 06:47:17 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 3718 bytes --]

--- Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 02:30:28AM -0700, Peter
> Ronnquist wrote:
> >
> > --- Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>
> wrote:

> swapbuffers
> > > with
> or
> > > labltk
> > > graphics

> extension.
> > > It's a windowing system issue (or at least,
> that's
> > > how OpenGL thinks of it).  So, on windows
> there's a
> > > SwapInterval extension, and I'm not sure about
> X,
> > > but it's probably the same.

> in C
> > > to use it, because lablgl does not support
> > > extensions yet.  I hope to fix this at some
> point
> > > soon.
> > >
> > > Does X not do this by himself, at least if you
> use
> > > hardware accelerated mesa
> > > drivers (the dri version of them). Not sure
> though.
> >

> > I have looked into the examples that are provided
> with
> > lablgl and lablgtk and comparared it with the C
> > version of gears.c. You can notice a small
> disruption
> > in the animation gears.ml and planet.ml (when the
> > planet is closer and is displayed big on the
> screen).
> > This is due to that the swap buffer is done when
> the
> > monitors ray gun is in the middle of the graphics.
> >
> > There are also some small and good tutorial
> examples
> > that uses C and glx that does not have this
> problem.
> > Here there is no disruption of the animation at
> all.
> > I can provide you with the link to this webpage
> when I
> > get access to the link.
> >
> > It seems that it is up to the library that you use
> for
> > handling the window for opengl. Appearantly gtk
> and tk
> > does not do this syncronization.
> > glut, glx do this and I am almost sure that sdl do
> > that as well.
>
> mmm, ...
>
> lablgl + lablgtk uses the gtkglarea library, if i am
> not wrong. Did you try
> the gtkglarea examples for the same thing ?
>
> Also what openGL lib are you using, what X server,
> what OS, what graphic card
> ? All of this may have an impact on the openGL
> display. Also are you using
> software rendreing or hardware ? try glxinfo to be
> sure.
>
> Do you have an idea of what the C example you speak
> about do that is not done
> by lablgl ?
>
> Or maybe it is just the garbage collector quicking
> in, and thus slowing the
> display ?

I tried the examples under the directory GL in the
lablgtk debian package, I think they use gtkglarea.

I am using
mesa/dri/Xfree4/linux/g400/hardwarerendering.

Open gl synchs with the vertical retrace in those C
tutorial examples

http://nehe.gamedev.net/opengl.asp
(I tried the Texture mapping example)

The difference is that the C examples uses glx for the
window handling,
I hope that the garbage collection does not affect the
synchronization.
I plan to try the ocamlsdl and see if it works with
that.
Otherwise I think Chris is right regarding this
extension for X, I don't remeber the exact name of it
but it exists a syncronization extension. I am looking
forward for new versions of lablgl that support this.

Another way to go would be to try ocamlsdl with
lablgl.

BR
Peter Rönnquist