* Re: [Caml-list] How to synchtonize swap buffers with vertical retrace  in lablgk/lablgtk, or labgl/labltk,
       [not found] <200105111336.PAA23160@beepbeep.dev33.cvf>
@ 2001-05-12 17:24 ` Peter Ronnquist
From: Peter Ronnquist @ 2001-05-12 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 1457 bytes --]

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ocamlsdl/OCamlSDL-0.5pre2.tar.gz

> > The Sdlvideo.flip should sync with vertical
> retrace if
> > sdl is initialized with SDL_DOUBLEBUF,
> SDL_HWSURFACE
> > and I also tried to add SDL_FULLSCREEN with the
> same
> > result.
> i will modify the current video initialisation with
> a list of video_flags...

Thank you, ocamlSDL-0.5pre2 worked directly.

Just a small note, to make ocamlsdl work the first
time I had to do a "ln -s libfreetype.so.6
libfreetype.so" in /usr/lib but that I think is the
responsibilty of the  libfreetype package of debian .

Best Regards
Peter Rönnquist

* Re: [Caml-list] How to synchtonize swap buffers with vertical retrace in lablgk/lablgtk, or labgl/labltk,
@ 2001-05-12 21:25   ` Peter Ronnquist
From: Peter Ronnquist @ 2001-05-12 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Hecker, caml-list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 1122 bytes --]

--- Chris Hecker <checker@d6.com> wrote:

> >I am looking for a way to synchronize swapbuffers
> with
> >the vertical retrace using lablg and lablgtk or
> labltk
> >for creating the window to draw the opengl graphics
> >in.
> >Does anyone know if this is possible?
>
> You usually have to do this through an extension.
> It's a windowing system issue (or at least, that's
> how OpenGL thinks of it).  So, on windows there's a
> SwapInterval extension, and I'm not sure about X,
> but it's probably the same.
>
> You'll need to write a thunk to the extension in C
> to use it, because lablgl does not support
> extensions yet.  I hope to fix this at some point
> soon.
>
> Chris

I am interested to look at this. I don't exactly know
where to start at this point but I will take a look at
xfree to get some more information.

Best Regards
Peter Rönnquist

* Re: [Caml-list] How to synchtonize swap buffers with vertical retrace   in lablgk/lablgtk, or labgl/labltk,
@ 2001-05-12 17:51         ` Peter Ronnquist
From: Peter Ronnquist @ 2001-05-12 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sami Mäkelä; +Cc: caml-list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 1115 bytes --]

--- Sami Mäkelä <sajuma@utu.fi> wrote:
> Peter Ronnquist wrote:
> > Some clarification, the behavior I get is that the
> > animation is not smooth. It is like the vetical
> > retrace is missed sometimes.
> > It could be that it do the flip at the
> correcttime,
> > but that the loop sometimes takes too long so that
> one
> > vertical retrace is skipped.
>
> Here are some tips about how to make it faster:
>
> * Use Sdlvideo.surface_display_format to convert the
>   image to faster format
> * Set the color depth to the depth of your screen
> * When using Sdlvideo.update_rect, Sdlvideo.flip is
> unnecessary.
>   I don't know if update_rect waits for vertical
retrace.

Thank you, the screen update was much faster with
update_rects. But it did not wait correctly for the
vertical retrace (it was barly noticeable though).

Best Regards
Peter Rönnquist

* Re: [Caml-list] How to synchtonize swap buffers with vertical retrace   in lablgk/lablgtk, or labgl/labltk,
@ 2001-05-11 14:29       ` Sami Mäkelä
From: Sami Mäkelä @ 2001-05-11 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Ronnquist; +Cc: caml-list

@ 2001-05-11  7:32     ` Peter Ronnquist
From: Peter Ronnquist @ 2001-05-11  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 551 bytes --]

@ 2001-05-10 21:20   ` Peter Ronnquist
From: Peter Ronnquist @ 2001-05-10 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luc MAZARDO; +Cc: caml-list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 1531 bytes --]

To compile ocaml sdl I needed to add
-lSDL_ttf  to the CLIBS in OCamlSDL/src/Makefile.

Also  added -DHAVE_FREETYPE_FREETYPE_H to the CFLAGS
in OCamlSDL/makefile.toplevel

But I still don't sync with the vertical retrace.
I have a small test loop that do the following:

---------------------

let placement x y src dst =
  let h = surface_height src
  and w = surface_width src
  in
  let y_max = (surface_height dst) - h
  and x_max = (surface_width dst) - w
  in
let r_smiley = (Rect(x,
		     y,
		     w,h))
and r_src = (surface_rect src)

in
surface_blit src r_src dst r_smiley;
update_rect dst r_smiley;;

(* The "main" loop *)
for i = 1 to 200 do
(*      surface_blit icon r_src screen r_smiley;
   update_rect screen r_smiley;*)
  placement v.(0) 25 icon screen;
  v.(0) <- v.(0) +2;
  Sdltimer.delay 10;
  Sdlvideo.flip screen;
done;

--------------------------

The Sdlvideo.flip should sync with vertical retrace if
sdl is initialized with SDL_DOUBLEBUF, SDL_HWSURFACE
and I also tried to add SDL_FULLSCREEN with the same
result.

According to the online documentation SDL_Flip will
wait for vertical retrace on hardware that supports
it. G400 supports it, at least glx manages to do it.

Thanks for any help,

Best Regards
Peter Rönnquist

* Re: [Caml-list] How to synchtonize swap buffers with vertical retrace  in lablgk/lablgtk, or labgl/labltk,
       [not found] <200105091112.NAA24433@beepbeep.dev33.cvf>
@ 2001-05-10 17:08 ` Peter Ronnquist
From: Peter Ronnquist @ 2001-05-10 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luc MAZARDO; +Cc: caml-list

--- Luc MAZARDO <Luc.Mazardo@cvf.fr> wrote:
> have you installed  freetype2-dev ??
> i miss to exit with error when i don't find
> freetype.h.
> i will fix it.

Hello Luc,

Yes I installed the freetype2-dev and the freetype.h
was found, this was alright.

The problem was that the freetype.h needed to have a
defined variable that stated from which directory to
include the file that had the TTF_.. structure
defined.

In short, there where no such define so this include
file was not included at all.
I added it to the make file and then it worked.
I can send you a more detailed report of the error if
you like.

So know I have run the samples/examlple.ml program. I
am now trying to modifiy this example to do some
animation to finally get to see a ocaml program
synchronise its graphics output with the vertical
retrace.

Thank you for your feedback,

/Peter

* Re: [Caml-list] How to synchtonize swap buffers with vertical retrace in lablgk/lablgtk, or labgl/labltk,
@ 2001-05-04 13:47         ` Peter Ronnquist
From: Peter Ronnquist @ 2001-05-04 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven LUTHER; +Cc: Sven LUTHER, Chris Hecker, caml-list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 3718 bytes --]

--- Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 02:30:28AM -0700, Peter
> Ronnquist wrote:
> >
> > --- Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>
> wrote:

> swapbuffers
> > > with
> or
> > > labltk
> > > graphics

> extension.
> > > It's a windowing system issue (or at least,
> that's
> > > how OpenGL thinks of it).  So, on windows
> there's a
> > > SwapInterval extension, and I'm not sure about
> X,
> > > but it's probably the same.

> in C
> > > to use it, because lablgl does not support
> > > extensions yet.  I hope to fix this at some
> point
> > > soon.
> > >
> > > Does X not do this by himself, at least if you
> use
> > > hardware accelerated mesa
> > > drivers (the dri version of them). Not sure
> though.
> >

> > I have looked into the examples that are provided
> with
> > lablgl and lablgtk and comparared it with the C
> > version of gears.c. You can notice a small
> disruption
> > in the animation gears.ml and planet.ml (when the
> > planet is closer and is displayed big on the
> screen).
> > This is due to that the swap buffer is done when
> the
> > monitors ray gun is in the middle of the graphics.
> >
> > There are also some small and good tutorial
> examples
> > that uses C and glx that does not have this
> problem.
> > Here there is no disruption of the animation at
> all.
> > I can provide you with the link to this webpage
> when I
> > get access to the link.
> >
> > It seems that it is up to the library that you use
> for
> > handling the window for opengl. Appearantly gtk
> and tk
> > does not do this syncronization.
> > glut, glx do this and I am almost sure that sdl do
> > that as well.
>
> mmm, ...
>
> lablgl + lablgtk uses the gtkglarea library, if i am
> not wrong. Did you try
> the gtkglarea examples for the same thing ?
>
> Also what openGL lib are you using, what X server,
> what OS, what graphic card
> ? All of this may have an impact on the openGL
> display. Also are you using
> software rendreing or hardware ? try glxinfo to be
> sure.
>
> Do you have an idea of what the C example you speak
> about do that is not done
> by lablgl ?
>
> Or maybe it is just the garbage collector quicking
> in, and thus slowing the
> display ?

I tried the examples under the directory GL in the
lablgtk debian package, I think they use gtkglarea.

I am using
mesa/dri/Xfree4/linux/g400/hardwarerendering.

Open gl synchs with the vertical retrace in those C
tutorial examples

http://nehe.gamedev.net/opengl.asp
(I tried the Texture mapping example)

The difference is that the C examples uses glx for the
window handling,
I hope that the garbage collection does not affect the
synchronization.
I plan to try the ocamlsdl and see if it works with
that.
Otherwise I think Chris is right regarding this
extension for X, I don't remeber the exact name of it
but it exists a syncronization extension. I am looking
forward for new versions of lablgl that support this.

Another way to go would be to try ocamlsdl with
lablgl.

BR
Peter Rönnquist

* Re: [Caml-list] How to synchtonize swap buffers with vertical retrace in lablgk/lablgtk, or labgl/labltk,
@ 2001-05-04 10:20       ` Sven LUTHER
From: Sven LUTHER @ 2001-05-04 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Ronnquist; +Cc: Sven LUTHER, Chris Hecker, caml-list

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 02:30:28AM -0700, Peter Ronnquist wrote:

> --- Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:

> > with
> > labltk
> > graphics
> > >
> > > You usually have to do this through an extension.
> > It's a windowing system issue (or at least, that's
> > how OpenGL thinks of it).  So, on windows there's a
> > SwapInterval extension, and I'm not sure about X,
> > but it's probably the same.
> > >
> > > You'll need to write a thunk to the extension in C
> > to use it, because lablgl does not support
> > extensions yet.  I hope to fix this at some point
> > soon.
> >
> > Does X not do this by himself, at least if you use
> > hardware accelerated mesa
> > drivers (the dri version of them). Not sure though.
>

> I have looked into the examples that are provided with
> lablgl and lablgtk and comparared it with the C
> version of gears.c. You can notice a small disruption
> in the animation gears.ml and planet.ml (when the
> planet is closer and is displayed big on the screen).
> This is due to that the swap buffer is done when the
> monitors ray gun is in the middle of the graphics.
>
> There are also some small and good tutorial examples
> that uses C and glx that does not have this problem.
> Here there is no disruption of the animation at all.
> I can provide you with the link to this webpage when I
> get access to the link.
>
> It seems that it is up to the library that you use for
> handling the window for opengl. Appearantly gtk and tk
> does not do this syncronization.
> glut, glx do this and I am almost sure that sdl do
> that as well.

mmm, ...

lablgl + lablgtk uses the gtkglarea library, if i am not wrong. Did you try
the gtkglarea examples for the same thing ?

Also what openGL lib are you using, what X server, what OS, what graphic card
? All of this may have an impact on the openGL display. Also are you using
software rendreing or hardware ? try glxinfo to be sure.

Do you have an idea of what the C example you speak about do that is not done
by lablgl ?

Or maybe it is just the garbage collector quicking in, and thus slowing the
display ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] How to synchtonize swap buffers with vertical retrace in lablgk/lablgtk, or labgl/labltk,
@ 2001-05-04  9:30     ` Peter Ronnquist
From: Peter Ronnquist @ 2001-05-04  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven LUTHER, Chris Hecker; +Cc: Peter Ronnquist, caml-list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 2017 bytes --]

@ 2001-05-04  8:52   ` Sven LUTHER
From: Sven LUTHER @ 2001-05-04  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Hecker; +Cc: Peter Ronnquist, caml-list

@ 2001-05-03 18:11 ` Chris Hecker