From: Tom _ <tom7ca@yahoo.com>
To: Florian Hars <hars@bik-gmbh.de>, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] SISAL (Was: report describing optimization of numerical computing...)
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 15:22:16 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

SISAL was is experiment in language design.  To
replace something like Fortran, you need a bit
more resources than a project at a government
lab.  The SISAL project didn't have the resources
to create the libraries and tools necessary to
replace Fortran, and that was clear to everybody.
It took more than 20 years to come out with Fortran90,
and even it hasn't replaced Fortran77 a decade later.
Many other excellent projects at government
labs have languished for lack of funding.

The ideas that went into the language should
be judged on their own.

Tom.

PS: I was not associated with the SISAL project
other than as an occaional user of their software.

http://redhook.llnl.gov/iscr/projects/crg/sisal.tutorial/

> | The following error was encountered:
> | Unable to determine IP address from host name for
> redhook.llnl.gov
>
> | While trying to retrieve the URL:

ftp://sisal.llnl.gov/pub/sisal/Small.Sisal.Interpreter.dir