From: Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>
To: Dave Berry <Dave@kal.com>
Cc: Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>,
	reig@dcs.gla.ac.uk, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] CDK license
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:04:43 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 10:44:30AM +0100, Dave Berry wrote:
> I would encourage people to use an X/BSD-like license for code whereever
> possible.  This license allows anyone to do anything whatsoever with the
> code, provided that they keep the copyright notice and NO WARRANTY
> notice.  It saves you all this hassle with determining what is and is
> not allowed, and which code may be linked or distributed with which
> other code.

Yes, including taking all your code, doing some modification to it, and giving
noting back.

That is the nice advantage in using the LGPL over the BSD like licence, is
that altough you give your code away, you are guaranteed that if someone do
enhancement to it, he will give it back to the community, and not hoard it.

But then this is everyone's right to choose the code he wants, for myself, as
i don't really have much coding time, i prefer to go the GPL or LGPL way, and
if someone wants to take my code, and not contribute back any changes they do,
then by all means, they can pay me for a commercial licenced version, is it
not.

Friendly,

Sven Luther