From: Jacques Garrigue <garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
To: adridg@sci.kun.nl
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Repeat: is there a Qt binding for OCaml?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:57:44 +0900	[thread overview]

> It was last asked midway through 2000: is there a Qt binding for OCaml?
>
> Within the KDE community there are several developers who would really be
> interested in working on Qt -- and KDE -- bindings for OCaml, but there's no
> sense in that if they already exist. In particular, there was mention of a
> partially working Qt binding -- perhaps the author of that could give me a
> ring?

I was probably the one.
All I did was an embryo of interface, entirely hand written.
So if you are courageous, go ahead. There will be no duplication.
If you're curious, I can send you my attempt.

> What's the point, you ask, of Qt bindings (as opposed to Gtk
> bindings which we all know exist already)? It's probably a religious
> thing. But I know C++ gets me down some days, and I'd like to do
> something functional and OO at the same time. Besides, I think OCaml
> + Qt is a good choice vs. Clean + w98, but that's a whole other
> flamewar.

I see perfectly the point. The trouble is that C++ is rather hard to
interface to, due to the staticness of its compilation. You may have
to write several wrappers for methods, depending on the position of
the class in the hierarchy... Gtk's dynamic model is easier.
Anyway, Qt is a wonderful toolkit, and having an interface to it would
be nice.

Another interesting work to do is building an interface for Cocoa
(Nextstep by its old name). This might prove much easier, since
Objective C is more dynamic, and a closer match for ocaml's OO.

Cheers,

Jacques Garrigue