From: Pierre Weis <Pierre.Weis@inria.fr>
To: patrick@watson.org (Patrick M Doane)
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] pretty printers and format and matrices
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:36:22 +0200 (MET DST)	[thread overview]

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Pierre Weis wrote:
>
> > Having to open more than 1000 boxes to print any material seems
> > incredible to me, since I used to pretty print an entire Caml compiler
> > within 35 boxes.
> >
> > Anyway, I'm afraid there is no notion of infinity in Format. Neither
> > in the Caml integer values. Hence no solution to your problem.
>
> Would it be reasonable to increase the default value from 35?  Are there
> any performance problems with setting this value to max_int in the
> pp_make_formatter routine?
>
> Patrick

Yes, setting the default value to the maximum possible value is
conceivable. However, this (reasonable) limit is there as a kind of
alert to tell the user that the number of boxes the programs opens is
now considered large (hence you may consider having a look at the
printing program to see if it works properly). This is the performance
problem you may have (not in the library but in your printing
routines). However if this is generally agreed, we can do it ...

Best regards,

Pierre Weis

INRIA, Projet Cristal, Pierre.Weis@inria.fr, http://pauillac.inria.fr/~weis/