* Re: [Caml-list] Good introduction for the working programmer in Objective CAML
@ 2001-06-18 23:34 Arturo Borquez
From: Arturo Borquez @ 2001-06-18 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Mon, 18 June 2001, "Mattias Waldau" wrote:

> Someone on this list pointed to
>
> www.cs.caltech.edu/cs134/cs134b/book.pdf

Also see the parent directory there are some exercises
suited for newbies.

www.cs.caltech.edu/cs134/cs134b/

Best Regards
Arturo

http://www.shopping.altavista.com

* Re: [Caml-list] Newbie: declarations
@ 2001-06-18 15:18 Remi VANICAT
From: Remi VANICAT @ 2001-06-18 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml

leary@nwlink.com writes:

> On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 02:08:28PM +0400, Vitaly Lugovsky wrote:
> >  It's an almost functional language, so please avoid variables. And use
> > references only when you really need 'em. Refer to the Guide about
> > references and named tuples.
>
> Here's what I'm doing now (comments welcome; yes, I have short cryptic
> names).  I'm writing a robot for RealTimeBattle, and want to have access to
> information that isn't contained in every message the robot gets (and I'm
> not using threads or signals yet, fwiw).  This information is updated all
> the time.  (I'll post a link to the whole thing for criticism, once it
> actually does something interesting. :)

[...]

> let data : datarec = {

the type annotation is not mandatory :
let data =
is enough

[...]

> let initialize i = match i with
> 	1 -> name "Bob"; color "00FF00 FF0000";
> 		debug "initialize 1\n";
> 	| 0 ->
> 		data.name <- "bob";

[...]

it may be better to have two function : one to initialize the robot,
the other to make the other stuff.

--
Rémi Vanicat
vanicat@labri.u-bordeaux.fr