* [Caml-list] splitting ocaml-list
@ 2001-06-25 21:02 Miles Egan
From: Miles Egan @ 2001-06-25 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Would it make sense to split up caml-list into a few new lists?  A lot of other
language projects offer three lists, a devel list, an announce list, and a users
list.  For ocaml, this would be:

caml-announce:
    announcements of new versions of ocaml and ocaml-related packages
caml-devel:
    discussion of ocaml bugs and internals
caml-users:
    general questions about ocaml usage and problems

Such a division might make it easier for people to ask newbie questions without
troubling the core ocaml team.  On the other hand, caml-list is fairly low
volume, so it might not be worth it.

--
miles

* Re: [Caml-list] splitting ocaml-list
@ 2001-06-26  8:49 ` Antoine Marin
From: Antoine Marin @ 2001-06-26  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

Miles Egan a écrit :

> Would it make sense to split up caml-list into a few new lists?  A lot of other
> language projects offer three lists, a devel list, an announce list, and a users
> list.  For ocaml, this would be:
>
> caml-announce:
>     announcements of new versions of ocaml and ocaml-related packages
> caml-devel:
>     discussion of ocaml bugs and internals
> caml-users:
>     general questions about ocaml usage and problems
>
> Such a division might make it easier for people to ask newbie questions without
> troubling the core ocaml team.

I don't think, just because usually they are included this way:

caml-announce is included in caml-users that is included in caml-devel

Developpers should know everything that is said on each list (anyway they can
filter e-mails).
It's the reverse way, core ocaml team won't trouble newbie with obscure
metaphysic thought ;)

regards,

Antoine

* Re: [Caml-list] splitting ocaml-list
@ 2001-06-26  9:32 ` Stefano Zacchiroli
From: Stefano Zacchiroli @ 2001-06-26  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 02:02:05PM -0700, Miles Egan wrote:
> Such a division might make it easier for people to ask newbie questions without
> troubling the core ocaml team.  On the other hand, caml-list is fairly low
> volume, so it might not be worth it.

I think that it is the right topic division, but I also think that this
list is yet a low volume list, so we don't need such kind of splitting.
I follow (really "lurk" is a better verb :) this list from 1 year and I
really like the discussions about caml internals and also like
announces.

But, if we will reach a volume like hundreds mail a day ... go and split
the list, please! :-)

Cheers.

--
Stefano "Zack" Zacchiroli <zack@cs.unibo.it> ICQ# 33538863