From: Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>
To: "Krishnaswami, Neel" <neelk@cswcasa.com>
Cc: "'caml-list@inria.fr'" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Backtraces in the interactive interpreter?
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 09:35:27 +0200	[thread overview]

> I do a lot of Objective Caml development with the toplevel under
> Emacs, and I'd like to know how I can enable backtraces in it.

This is currently not supported, and would actually be quite hard to
implement.  The backtrace mechanism is highly dependent on standalone
executables, with the debugging info being "linked in" the executable.

> I tried byte-compiling my libraries with '-g', but this makes
> the ocaml toplevel dump core when I try to #load them.

I'm very, very surprised by this.  It works fine here.  If you can
reproduce the problem, please report it (along with a recipe for
reproducing it) to caml-bugs@inria.fr.

scott@chronis.pobox.com suggested:

> set your environmental variable OCAMLRUNPARAM to "b=1" before you
> start emacs.

This won't do.  At best, it would report a stack backtrace when the
ocaml toplevel itself dies on an uncaught exception (which should
never happen), but not backtraces for user-defined code.

- Xavier Leroy