* [Caml-list] custom linking not working
@ 2001-07-01 21:02 Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2001-07-01 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCAML

What am I doing wrong here???

itz:~# ocamlc -linkall -custom toplevellib.cma /usr/lib/ocaml/libgraphics.a \
        topmain.cmo -o ocaml.graphics
itz:~# ./ocaml.graphics
        Objective Caml version 3.01

# #load "/usr/lib/ocaml/graphics.cma";;
The external function `gr_set_text_size' is not available
#
itz:~# ocamlc -v
The Objective Caml compiler, version 3.01
Standard library directory: /usr/lib/ocaml
itz:~# nm /usr/lib/ocaml/libgraphics.a | grep gr_set_text_size
000000bc T gr_set_text_size

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
EngSoc adopts market economy: cheap is wasteful, efficient is expensive.

* Re: [Caml-list] custom linking not working
@ 2001-07-01 23:19 ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2001-07-01 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: itz; +Cc: caml-list

From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@speakeasy.org>

> What am I doing wrong here???
>
> itz:~# ocamlc -linkall -custom toplevellib.cma /usr/lib/ocaml/libgraphics.a \
>         topmain.cmo -o ocaml.graphics

You shouldn't use libgraphics.a, but graphics.cma.

The right invocation is much simpler:

    ocamlmktop graphics.cma -o ocaml.graphics

Jacques Garrigue

* Re: [Caml-list] custom linking not working
@ 2001-07-01 23:24   ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2001-07-01 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacques Garrigue; +Cc: caml-list

itz> What am I doing wrong here???
itz>
itz> itz:~# ocamlc -linkall -custom toplevellib.cma
itz> /usr/lib/ocaml/libgraphics.a \ topmain.cmo -o ocaml.graphics

Jacques> You shouldn't use libgraphics.a, but graphics.cma.  The right
Jacques> invocation is much simpler:

Jacques> ocamlmktop graphics.cma -o ocaml.graphics

Well, I know that would work, of course :-)

But what I was trying to do was precisely to avoid linking the
bytecode at build time.  Is that impossible?

--

@ 2001-07-02  7:45 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2001-07-02  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Zimmerman; +Cc: OCAML

> What am I doing wrong here???
>
> itz:~# ocamlc -linkall -custom toplevellib.cma /usr/lib/ocaml/libgraphics.a \
>         topmain.cmo -o ocaml.graphics
> itz:~# ./ocaml.graphics
>         Objective Caml version 3.01
>
> # #load "/usr/lib/ocaml/graphics.cma";;
> The external function `gr_set_text_size' is not available
> #
> itz:~# ocamlc -v
> The Objective Caml compiler, version 3.01
> Standard library directory: /usr/lib/ocaml
> itz:~# nm /usr/lib/ocaml/libgraphics.a | grep gr_set_text_size
> 000000bc T gr_set_text_size

With -custom, only C primitives actually referenced from Caml code get
linked in.  At the very least, you need to link a Caml object file that
just declares "external" all the C primitives you're interested in.

All the best,

- Xavier Leroy