* [Caml-list] ocaml libs as rpms and ocaml-gd
@ 2001-07-06  5:10 Miles Egan
From: Miles Egan @ 2001-07-06  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I've been using RPM quite a bit at work and I've been creating a lot of new
packges and it occurred to me that it might it easier for new ocaml users to use
some of the more popular ocaml libraries if they were available in RPM format.
So, I'd like to offer to help any authors of such libraries to package their
libraries in RPM form.  Please just let me know if you're interested.

Second, is anyone working on ocaml-gd bindings?  If not, I might take a stab at
some.

P.S.:  I've uploaded a new version of my ocamldap bindings to the link database.
They're still pretty unsophisticated, but add/modify/delete work now.

--
miles

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml libs as rpms and ocaml-gd
@ 2001-07-06  8:45 ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2001-07-06  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Egan; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, 05 Jul 2001, Miles Egan wrote:
> I've been using RPM quite a bit at work and I've been creating a lot
> of new packges and it occurred to me that it might it easier for new
> ocaml users to use some of the more popular ocaml libraries if they
> were available in RPM format.  So, I'd like to offer to help any
> authors of such libraries to package their libraries in RPM form.
> Please just let me know if you're interested.

To save you the effort of creating 100 RPMs for all the OCaml-libraries
out there, it might be more economical to integrate automated generation
of RPMs into the CDK-distribution. As it seems, there are currently only
binaries in tar.{gz,bz2} format available. What do the CDK-maintainers
think? Such a contribution would surely be very helpful for Linux-users
who don't want to build things from source.

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--
Markus Mottl                                             markus@oefai.at
Austrian Research Institute

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml libs as rpms and ocaml-gd
@ 2001-07-06 13:55 ` Shawn Wagner
From: Shawn Wagner @ 2001-07-06 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 10:10:04PM -0700, Miles Egan wrote:

> Second, is anyone working on ocaml-gd bindings?  If not, I might take a stab at
> some.

I've done it. One of the many things I need to actually release sometime
soon...

--
Shawn Wagner
shawnw@speakeasy.org

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml libs as rpms and ocaml-gd
@ 2001-07-06 14:26   ` Miles Egan
From: Miles Egan @ 2001-07-06 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Mottl; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 10:45:45AM +0200, Markus Mottl wrote:
> To save you the effort of creating 100 RPMs for all the OCaml-libraries
> out there, it might be more economical to integrate automated generation
> of RPMs into the CDK-distribution. As it seems, there are currently only
> binaries in tar.{gz,bz2} format available. What do the CDK-maintainers
> think? Such a contribution would surely be very helpful for Linux-users
> who don't want to build things from source.

That's not a bad idea.  If the installation procedure were more or less the same
for all the CDK packages it would be fairly easy to create a generic rpm
template and just reuse that for each sub-package.

--

@ 2001-07-06 14:46   ` Miles Egan
From: Miles Egan @ 2001-07-06 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 06:55:19AM -0700, Shawn Wagner wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 10:10:04PM -0700, Miles Egan wrote:
>
> > Second, is anyone working on ocaml-gd bindings?  If not, I might take a stab at
> > some.
> >

> I've done it. One of the many things I need to actually release sometime
> soon...

Please do.  It would come in handy for something I'm working on at the moment.

--

@ 2001-07-07 23:05   ` John Max Skaller
From: John Max Skaller @ 2001-07-07 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Mottl; +Cc: Miles Egan, caml-list

Markus Mottl wrote:

> What do the CDK-maintainers
> think? Such a contribution would surely be very helpful for Linux-users
> who don't want to build things from source.

	There's a difference though: building C/C++ is complex
and error prone. Building Ocaml code is a breeze, at least
for the optimising compiler.

--
John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au
New generation programming language Felix  http://felix.sourceforge.net

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml libs as rpms and ocaml-gd
@ 2001-07-08 22:55     ` dsf
From: dsf @ 2001-07-08 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Max Skaller; +Cc: Markus Mottl, Miles Egan, caml-list

John Max Skaller <skaller@ozemail.com.au> writes:

> Markus Mottl wrote:
>
> > What do the CDK-maintainers
> > think? Such a contribution would surely be very helpful for Linux-users
> > who don't want to build things from source.
>
> 	There's a difference though: building C/C++ is complex
> and error prone. Building Ocaml code is a breeze, at least
> for the optimising compiler.

Only if you've got an ocaml compiler and a C compiler.  In any case,
building software from source is invariably more difficult than not
building it.  Maybe I'm getting old, but I certainly don't want to
build any software I could install in binary form.