From: Markus Mottl <markus@mail4.ai.univie.ac.at>
To: Francois Pottier <Francois.Pottier@inria.fr>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Some sugar for regexp matching using camlp4
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:39:46 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Francois Pottier wrote:
> > Note that it should be possible to assert the required number of subgroups
> > at compile-time if the user supplied a constant string: you'd only have
> > to compile the pattern string to a regexp within the camlp4-rule and
> > check things there.
>
> Sounds good, except this would require building a custom version of camlp4,
> because it can't dynamically load the Pcre library (as far as I can tell).

I am not a camlp4-guru, but if I am not mistaken, such extensions should
be quite straightforward. If users have to preprocess their files anyway,
they are probably indifferent to whether their preprocessor is the
"plain vanilla" one or not.

Maybe Daniel could tell us how to implement this extension with least
effort?

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--