From: Chris Hecker <checker@d6.com>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: [Caml-list] calling native code from bytecode?
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 16:45:40 -0700	[thread overview]

Is there any way to compile part of a project in bytecode and another
part with the native compiler and link them?  It seems odd that you
can call C from bytecode but not other caml code.  The gc and
everything is the same between the asm and bytecode runtimes, no?  Are
datastructures in memory (except code, of course) compatible?

Basically, I've got some numerical code that I'd like to compile to
native code for performance, but I'd like to keep most of the
non-performance stuff in bytecode so I can use the toplevel and
whatnot.  I suppose I could do some sort of heinous bytecode -> C ->
native code shim, but it seems like this could "just work".

Obviously, the holy grail would be complete intermingling of bytecode
and native code, and the linker just figures it out and does the right
thing.  That would rock.  But, I'd settle for bytecode -> native calls
only at this point.

Thoughts?

Chris