* [Caml-list] ANN: PLEAC - Programming Language Examples Alike Cookbook
@ 2001-08-13 17:36 Pixel
From: Pixel @ 2001-08-13 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: pleac-discuss

http://pleac.sourceforge.net/
http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac-faq.html
http://freshmeat.net/projects/pleac

The aim is to rewrite Perl CookBook's code in other programming languages, to:

- provide an easy resource for quick learning of some languages field
  (file IOs, string manipulation, etc)
- better see the differences and strengths of the languages
- provide a quick reference for language comparisons

- and, erhm, advocate the graphical layout of a good Emacs configuration ;p

There is a web infrastructure enabling syntaxically colorized sourcecode,
and the Perl code has been imported from what's given for free at oreilly
(also, the copyright stuff has been addressed with oreilly).

We would very much enjoy a OCaml version, which has not yet begun for the
moment.

As for now, the Merd version is around 30% complete ; the Ruby version is
around 25% complete ; the Haskell and Python versions are around 10%
complete ; and embryonic Nasm and Masd versions are also available.

We think OCaml really deserves to be part of this project, in the Quest to
show that the language can be used for real-world day-by-day tasks :-).
But for the moment, OCaml experts we know of are busy doing other tasks,
so if anyone of you is interested in contributing... well, the URL is
above ;p.

You may subscribe to the ML if interested (see the web for details).

cu Pixel.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2001-08-13 17:36 UTC | newest]