* [Caml-list] Newbie Ocaml problem
@ 2001-08-15  2:02 Gerhard Häring
From: Gerhard Häring @ 2001-08-15  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I'd like to finally learn some functional programming. I thought Ocaml might be
a good choice because it also has imperative features, so transition to a
functional language like Ocaml is probably smoother than, say Haskell.

I started with the Ocaml tutorial, but I learn best with real problems (I'd
like to translate a few of my Python scripts to Ocaml), so I need things from
the standard library. In particular, I need the Unix module. And here I've hit
a problem:

gerhard@lilith:~ > ocaml
Objective Caml version 3.02

# Sys.os_type;;
- : string = "Unix"
# Unix.getpid;;
Reference to undefined global `Unix'
#

I can use the Sys module, but whenever I try to use stuff from the Unix module,
I get the error message above. It must be something obvious I am missing. But
what?

Thanks,

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    public key at homepage

* Re: [Caml-list] Newbie Ocaml problem
@ 2001-08-15  5:10 ` Michael Vanier
From: Michael Vanier @ 2001-08-15  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gerhard; +Cc: caml-list

> Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 04:02:12 +0200
> From: Gerhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E4ring?= <haering_python@gmx.de>
>
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to finally learn some functional programming. I thought Ocaml might be
> a good choice because it also has imperative features, so transition to a
> functional language like Ocaml is probably smoother than, say Haskell.
>
> I started with the Ocaml tutorial, but I learn best with real problems (I'd
> like to translate a few of my Python scripts to Ocaml), so I need things from
> the standard library. In particular, I need the Unix module. And here I've hit
> a problem:
>
> gerhard@lilith:~ > ocaml
> Objective Caml version 3.02
>
> # Sys.os_type;;
> - : string = "Unix"
> # Unix.getpid;;
> Reference to undefined global `Unix'
> #
>
> I can use the Sys module, but whenever I try to use stuff from the Unix module,
> I get the error message above. It must be something obvious I am missing. But
> what?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gerhard

>From the online docs:

Programs that use the unix library must be linked as follows:

        ocamlc other options unix.cma other files
        ocamlopt other options unix.cmxa other files

For interactive use of the unix library, do:

        ocamlmktop -o mytop unix.cma
        ./mytop

Mike