* [Caml-list] construction, packaging and distribution tools
@ 2001-08-24  3:56 j h woodyatt
From: j h woodyatt @ 2001-08-24  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

everyone--

I have some experience with the subject of this thread.  I have
contributed to the CPAN, and I was once charged with managing the
dependency of an enterprise software system on packages obtained from
the CPAN.  The subject is an interesting one.

I will begin by observing that the success achieved by the CPAN is due
in large part to the enormously complex layer of scriptology used to
construct Perl itself on such a wide variety of platforms.

First, while the perl interpreter isn't actually written in Perl, an
awful lot of the code that constructs the perl distribution is written
in Perl.  (That code lives in a collection of Perl core library modules
with 'MM_' in their names.)

What they are essentially doing is using the traditional C construction
tools, i.e. /usr/bin/make and the like, to get a bootstrap version of
the Perl interpreter compiled (this is called 'miniperl'), then they use
miniperl to execute the rest of the construction required to build the
entire distribution.

It was a fairly trivial step from there to take the code that
constructed the Perl core library and press it into service compiling
contributed extension modules.  All that code is written in mostly
portable Perl that refers back to a special module in the core library
named Config.pm, which defines a huge array of configuration variables
whose values were discovered when the ./Configure script executed at the
start of the construction process.

That said, one of my hobby projects last year was to write a tool that
would allow me to write portable software construction scriptology in
Perl and bypass the menagerie of weird /usr/bin/make implementations
that one finds all over the place.  The code I wrote is called "Conjury"
and the version in the CPAN right now is not the most up-to-date, but
it's a good start.

One other observation is how Java project construction is often done.  A
lot of the complexity of constructing distributions of pure Java code is
managed by the tools distributed in the Java development kit.  The
compiler, linker and archiver are all pretty good about managing
dependency chains.

Very complicated projects with many phases and very deep dependency
chains, e.g. Tomcat servlet container, often use a tool called Ant
developed by the Apache Foundation.

Ant allows you to write your construction scripts as XML documents, and
you can extend the functions available in those scripts by writing Java
classes and loading them during the construction process.

As it stands today, the Objective Caml distribution could use more work
before it would compare well to what either Perl or Java programmers are
used to seeing.  I humbly suggest if there is a debate on the merits of
which design pattern to employ for packaging and distribution, some
attention should also be paid to the construction process.

Very large software development efforts rarely use construction systems
based on /usr/bin/make without treating the Makefile files as
"intermediate" construction products.  Both Perl and the Linux kernel
are fairly typical examples of this.

Perhaps there is a need for a tool in the Objective Caml distribution
that "closes the construction, packaging, and distribution loop" in a
clean and consistent way across all platforms.

(It would be an extra bonus if I could use that tool to write
construction scripts for Mac OS X application bundles, but I'll use what
there is until there is something better.)

--
j h woodyatt <jhw@wetware.com>
"You're standing on sacred ground.  Many strange and wonderful

* Re: [Caml-list] construction, packaging and distribution tools
@ 2001-08-24  7:18 ` Stefano Zacchiroli
From: Stefano Zacchiroli @ 2001-08-24  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 08:56:42PM -0700, j h woodyatt wrote:
> Perhaps there is a need for a tool in the Objective Caml distribution
> that "closes the construction, packaging, and distribution loop" in a
> clean and consistent way across all platforms.

have you had a look at "ocaml findlib" written by Gerd and available at
www.ocaml-programming.de?
Findlib does not fullfill all your requests but IMHO is a good starting
point.

Maybe Gerd can give us more info on future aims of findlib ...

Cheers.

--
Stefano "Zack" Zacchiroli <zack@cs.unibo.it> ICQ# 33538863
Home Page: http://www.students.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro