* [Caml-list] License Run-Time Question
@ 2001-08-25 19:13 Al Christians
From: Al Christians @ 2001-08-25 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I have just started with OCaml by installing and building the
source with Cygwin under NT.  With some guesswork, I guess I've
got it working, and I'm much impressed so far.

Given that, I want to start using OCaml and, if I do, some
executables from code I write in OCaml might start showing up
on my clients'/customers' machines, and I want to be sure I'm not
breaking any licenses.  From what I see in the archives, I'm not
supposed to have any problems distributing executables, but I'm
not sure of the specifics of how I stay in compliance doing
this.

In the archives I see this (199912/msg00026.html):

  >> If you write code in O'Caml, the license doesn't impose
  >> anything on your software's license.  The LGPL license on
  >> the runtime might force you to ensure that your program is
  >> physically separate from the runtime so that the runtime can
  >> be  replaced by your customers if they so desire, but this
  >> says nothing  about the license under which your software is
  >> distributed.

Is there any documentation available on what to include when I
try to distribute an executable program written with OCaml, and
how to do it so that I'm in compliance with all the relevant
licenses?  In particular, I will probably want to distribute
executables that come out of ocamlopt.

How do I keep the program 'physically separate'?

As I have the cygwin version of ocamlopt working, will the
programs also need CygWin run-time dll(s)?  Which one(s)? Are
there additional license problems distributing binaries because
I'm using Cygwin to make my programs?

The alternative to cygwin is MS.  I have MSVC++ v6, but not the
MS assembler.  I don't even know how much the assembler would
cost.  I'd probably buy that if I needed it when revenues are
up, but they aren't. Is that the way to go if I want to minimize
worries about license problems?

Thanks in advance much for any info.

Al Christians