* [Caml-list] OCaml + Camlp4 in a single dist. source.
@ 2001-10-08  3:45 Arturo Borquez
From: Arturo Borquez @ 2001-10-08  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: daniel.de_rauglaudre; +Cc: caml-list

Hello Daniel,

It seems that packaging OCaml + Camlp4 (synchronised
versions) on a single distribution package source,
was an issue pointed at the list. Camlp4 is a nice
tool very close related to the language, and also
revised syntax it seems me to be better than standard
syntax (despite it's rather subjetive issue). I have
ported some apps to revised syntax and some programmers
that are learning the language (at my job) agreed that
it's more easy to read (so to learn). It would be nice
to have Camlp4 bundled and synchronised with all the
future versions of OCaml. Is it possible?. Even more,
I think that the syntax default model would be a choice
of the user when builing the compilers. I don't want
to start a 'syntax-war' it is only my personal taste,
besides having such powerfull tool, alternative syntaxs
could arise elsewhere ... who knows? (creativity never
stops!)

Best regards
Arturo Borquez

http://www.shopping.altavista.com

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml + Camlp4 in a single dist. source.
@ 2001-10-08 11:05 ` Fabrice Le Fessant
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2001-10-08 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arturo Borquez; +Cc: daniel.de_rauglaudre, caml-list

This will happen soon, Camlp4 is already in the distribution if you
take a look at the lattest CVS snapshots. Next releases will probably
contain both Ocaml and Camlp4 (beta coming soon). The CDK is also
containing both Ocaml and Camlp4.

Regards,

- Fabrice

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml + Camlp4 in a single dist. source.
@ 2001-10-08 12:16 ` Daniel de Rauglaudre
From: Daniel de Rauglaudre @ 2001-10-08 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 08:45:51PM -0700, Arturo Borquez wrote:

> It would be nice to have Camlp4 bundled and synchronised with all
> the future versions of OCaml. Is it possible?

It has been done in the incoming version (3.03).

> I think that the syntax default model would be a choice
> of the user when builing the compilers.

Mmm... When building the compilers? When installing them, you mean?
Well, for the moment, you just have to use "ocamlc -pp camlp4r" or
load "camlp4r.cma" in the toplevel. In the next version, the option
"-I `camlp4 -where`" is no more necessary in the toplevel. because the
Camlp4 library path has been added. Moreover, if you load camlp4r.cma,
the results (values and types) are displayed in revised syntax.

--
Daniel de RAUGLAUDRE
daniel.de_rauglaudre@inria.fr