* RE: [Caml-list] "Or" patterns when both matchings
@ 2001-10-30 18:22 Manuel Fahndrich
From: Manuel Fahndrich @ 2001-10-30 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luc Maranget, Pixel; +Cc: caml-list

Hmm, I must side with Pixel here. Ease of compilation is rarely a good
design principle for a programming language. The use of or patterns
allows one to factor right hand sides as in the example shown below:

	| Foo(a)
             | a -> <complicated expression involving a>

If Or-patterns do not follow the first-to-last matching order, then
producing correct code and reading it becomes more difficult. I wasn't
aware of the Or-compilation strategy and I'm sure I made this mistake in
the past as well.

-Maf

From: Luc Maranget @ 2001-10-31  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Fahndrich; +Cc: Luc Maranget, Pixel, caml-list

> Hmm, I must side with Pixel here. Ease of compilation is rarely a good
> design principle for a programming language. The use of or patterns
> allows one to factor right hand sides as in the example shown below:
>
> 	| Foo(a)
>              | a -> <complicated expression involving a>
>
> If Or-patterns do not follow the first-to-last matching order, then
> producing correct code and reading it becomes more difficult. I wasn't
> aware of the Or-compilation strategy and I'm sure I made this mistake in
> the past as well.
>
> -Maf

You are right, I missed that point. I'll think about correcting that,
but it is not a trivial change.

Thanks for your feedback,

--Luc

* Re: [Caml-list] "Or" patterns when both matchings
@ 2001-10-29 10:37 ` Luc Maranget
From: Luc Maranget @ 2001-10-29 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pixel; +Cc: caml-list

@ 2001-10-28 11:02 Pixel
From: Pixel @ 2001-10-28 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

from the documentation:
  The pattern pattern1 | pattern2 represents the logical ``or'' of the two
  patterns pattern1 and pattern2. [...] If both matchings succeed, it is
  undefined which set of bindings is selected.

is there a reason for not using the classical pattern matching rule, to make
the ordering matters? (i've been nastily beat by this :-/)

eg:

type foo = Bar | Foo of foo

let f1 = function
  | Foo(a)