From: Xavier Leroy <xleroy@pauillac.inria.fr>
To: Fabrice Le Fessant <fabrice.le_fessant@inria.fr>
Cc: caml-list@pauillac.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] compiler patches in the CDK
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:20:01 +0100	[thread overview]

> >  4.  Are numerical operations an important area for ocaml to
> >  4.  succeed?  Put another way, if an optimization helps numerical
> >  4.  code but does not help other code (or even slightly hurts it),
> >  4.  how would that patch be received?
>
> Notice that, as discussed before on this mailing-list, I would welcome
> such a patch in the CDK.

This is one thing I'm not sure to understand about the CDK.

My initial view of the CDK is as a pre-packaged binary installation of
OCaml plus lots of user-contributed libraries and tools: a very
convenient thing indeed for users who want an OCaml development
environment that works and that is rich enough, without the hassle of
tracking down and installing all the bits themselves.  Excellent idea.

But then we learn that the CDK also includes some experimental, not
much tested patches to the OCaml compilers, and that by doing this
Fabrice intends the CDK to serve also as a beta-test for these
experimental extensions and changes.

So, is the CDK a stable, convenient distribution for users who
want something that works with no hassle, or an experimental
distribution for users who want to sit on the bleeding edge and
beta-test things?

Just curious.

- Xavier Leroy