From: Tom <tom7ca@yahoo.com>
To: Eric Newhuis <enew@starband.net>, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Rewriting UNIX in Caml and getting rid of the C disease
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 00:22:13 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

There are is probably a lot more non-C/C++, safe software in Linux and
UNIX than in Windows NT.  Linux and UNIX use shell, Perl, Python, and
awk extensively--safe, high-level programming languages (if dynamically
typed).  Linux installations often also use cfengine, a kind of expert
system shell for system configuration.  And this is nothing new: 15 years
ago, statistics at Bell Labs showed that people spent a lot more compute
cycles in awk than in native C programs.

Still, dynamic languages have their limitations, and it would be
nice to rethink and build larger parts of the Linux
environment in ML, in part to achieve more safety, and in part to make
it easier to modify and extend system software.  Both UNIX and ML
would benefit from the experience and results.  Utilities
like "unison" and "bibtex2html" (both written in OCAML)
are a good indication that ML can be used for such applications.

I think most people don't spend much time on it because there isn't
really a big itch that needs to be scratched for them.  Apache, or "GNU
ls", may both be messy, hard-to-maintain C programs, but they get the
job done and someone else is doing the testing, so why bother
rewriting them?  Still, all it takes is volunteers, so go ahead
and pick a project.

Tom