From: Sven <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>
To: Berke Durak <berke@altern.org>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Rewriting UNIX in Caml and getting rid of the C disease
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 13:47:46 +0100	[thread overview]

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 06:17:46AM +0100, Berke Durak wrote:
> Everyone on this list will agree that the C language is far from being
> perfect. More specifically, if we consider its various derivatives
> together (i.e. the C preprocessor and C++) they form the worst piece
> of stinking, pathogen and toxic garbage in the realm of programming
> languages.

A most interresting project, i would be higly interrested by it.

My previous thinkings about it would have me worried about the low level
access stuff.

How does ocaml and its garbage collection interract with things like handling
non-cacheable driver IO memory, or maybe the DMA-able pages sent to your SCSI
driver or graphic card ?

A worthy project, but i assume somewhat really big (after all, linux represent
10 years of developpment by thousands of very competent programmers all over
the world). A more realistic thing would be a small ocaml written kernel for a
small embedded system, with a limited set of peripherics. Once that is done,
you can go ahead and propose a more complete system.

Friendly,

Sven Luther