From: Benjamin Monate <Benjamin.Monate@lri.fr>
To: florian@hars.de
Cc: lablgtk@kaba.or.jp, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: [Caml-list] Re: To glade or not to glade (Was: [Caml-announce] Mlglade prerelease announce)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:33:20 +0100	[thread overview]

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 17:21:24 +0900
Jacques Garrigue <garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> From: Florian Hars <florian@hars.de>
> > OK, now we have mlglade
> > > http://www.lri.fr/~monate/mlglade
> > which uses Glade output, but is independent from libglade
> >
> > the libglade support in LablGTK
> > http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/soft/olabl/lablgtk.html
> > which, obviously, is different from mlglade in that it requires
> > libglade
> >
> > and zoggy
> > http://pauillac.inria.fr/~guesdon/Tools/zoggy/zoggy.html
> > which is an independent reimplementation of the glade functionality.
> >
> > Which should I use?
>
> My hope was that we would end up with a kind of compatibility between
> all these tools. At least, if they were all able to handle the glade
> xml format (or some subset of it), this would make some interaction
> possible.

I agree with Jacques. At some point in the future lablgtk libglade support
and mlglade
should be compatible. This has been discussed on the lablgtk mailing list
sometime ago.
As for zoggy, I do not know if it has any kind of glade-like xml output.

> Well, try them all and choose the one which fits you best.
> By the way, libglade support is currently the only approach which
> works for all widgets. But you will not obtain a lablgtk description
> of the GUI.

This is indeed the main difference :
- liblglade : dynamic loading of interface through a library and no access
to the lablgtk code of your interface. But full support of gtk.
- mlglade : complete access to lablgtk code and no external library
needed. But all gtk features are not supported yet. See the tutorial or
the README for details.

You can very quickly try both approaches and see what your prefer.
Translating my "hello world" tutorial for mlglade into a libglade one is
very easy if you read the examples in the lablgtk distribution.

--
| Benjamin Monate         | mailto:Benjamin.Monate@lri.fr |
| LRI - Bât. 490          | http://www.lri.fr/~monate/    |