* [Caml-list] partial function application perfomance
@ 2001-12-03  0:11 Arturo Borquez
From: Arturo Borquez @ 2001-12-03  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi all camlers,

I've being doing some benchmarks, and one of my tests
measures partial function application perfomance. I was
surprised by results: 20+ times slower than a full
function application. I expected a greater time but 20
times is a lot more ... I've checked my program and
seems ok, indeed the results were correct. Is this
overhead normal to partial function applications?

Best regards.
Arturo

http://www.shopping.altavista.com

* Re: [Caml-list] partial function application perfomance
@ 2001-12-03  1:11 ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2001-12-03  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aborquez; +Cc: caml-list

From: Arturo Borquez <aborquez@altavista.com>
> I've being doing some benchmarks, and one of my tests
> measures partial function application perfomance. I was
> surprised by results: 20+ times slower than a full
> function application. I expected a greater time but 20
> times is a lot more ... I've checked my program and
> seems ok, indeed the results were correct. Is this
> overhead normal to partial function applications?

Can you post your code?
If your function is small enough, full application may result in
inlining, and a null cost. If you succeded in having your partial
application have some cost (by doing something which prohibits
inlining), the ratio may be arbitrarily large!

Jacques Garrigue