From: Xavier Leroy <xavier.leroy@inria.fr>
To: Christophe Raffalli <Christophe.Raffalli@univ-savoie.fr>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] lablGL an size ...
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 16:41:40 +0100	[thread overview]

> I had problem understanding why my program took 90Mb ...

It doesn't "take" 90 M properly speaking.  The 90 M figure is what
"ps" reports.

> Then I tracked the problem: the "simple" example from the distribution of
> lablGL 0.96 take around 80Mb (see below)
> and it seems it is the minimum size of any lablGL program !

... and probably of any program that uses Open GL on your machine.

> Is this normal ? May be the video-RAM is included ???

Exactly.  The X server, as well as programs that access the hardware
3D acceleration of your video card (and that is presumably the case
with Open GL programs) map the video RAM in their own memory space,
often two or three times (don't ask me why).  With a modern video
card, that means a lot of memory space.  But it's not memory that your
program "takes", properly speaking, just accesses to shared resources.

(The same goes, to some extent, for the shared libraries used by your
program.)

To understand how much memory your program really occupies, it
helps to have a close look at /proc/<pid>/maps.

- Xavier "I developed OCaml 1.00 on a PC that had less RAM than your
  GeForce 2MX video card" Leroy