* [Caml-list] Re: SysThreads and DLL's
@ 2001-12-03 23:52 Jeff Henrikson
From: Jeff Henrikson @ 2001-12-03 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

> To: caml-list@inria.fr
> Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Re: SysThreads and DLL's
>
> After another day spent experimenting, I have a wonderfully working system
> with OCaml now. I spawn a thread to perform OCaml initialization and then

I also need to expose caml code in a DLL.  Could you post your working thread code/event loop so that I can avoid hacking around?

Do you have any idea what will happen with windows dynamic linking behavior if two such DLLs get loaded into the same process
space?  It'd be cool if they could share runtimes, but I doubt that would be an easy or free behavior.  I'm not even sure you would
get correct separation of two runtimes for free.  I'd have to test the linker scoping behavior.

Jeff Henrikson

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: SysThreads and DLL's
@ 2001-12-08 16:28 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2001-12-08 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Henrikson; +Cc: caml-list

> I also need to expose caml code in a DLL.  Could you post your
> working thread code/event loop so that I can avoid hacking around?
> Do you have any idea what will happen with windows dynamic linking
> behavior if two such DLLs get loaded into the same process space?
> It'd be cool if they could share runtimes, but I doubt that would be
> an easy or free behavior.  I'm not even sure you would get correct
> separation of two runtimes for free.  I'd have to test the linker
> scoping behavior.

If David McClain encapsulated his Caml code in a Win32 DLL the way I
expect he did, each such DLL comes with its own copy of the Caml
runtime system, allocates its own Caml heap, and doesn't share
anything with any other Caml-encapsulated DLL.  On the surface, this
might look a bit wasteful in resources, but it sure makes things
easier and more robust.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: SysThreads and DLL's
@ 2001-12-02 17:45   ` David McClain
From: David McClain @ 2001-12-02 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Julian Assange wrote:

> But, does the unsuspecting maintenance programmer know OCaml?

Ah, well... you have found the Achilles' heel of the situation... In all
likelihood, after all is said and done, that maintenance programmer will
probably continue to be me. So at the very least I will have translated all
that C/C++ gobledygook into something a bit more comprehensible for the next
time I have to look at it. I can simplify the coding by 6x, but the overall
architecture and data structure concepts are still well beyond what most
"maintenance" programmers would be able to comprehend.

Of course, I have the never ending uphill battle against the sea off (K&R) C
programmers around me. They haven't yet embraced C++ (just to mention how
far behind they are, not that they ought to), and Perl is the brave new
world for many. You can bet there will be a hew and cry when I mention
either of OCaml or Lisp...

Cheers,

- DM

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: SysThreads and DLL's
@ 2001-12-02 15:42 ` Julian Assange
From: Julian Assange @ 2001-12-02 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David McClain; +Cc: caml-list

> My aim is code base reduction, and ease of generation, because I want to
> unload about 300 KLOC onto some unsuspecting maintenance programmer. I need
> to get out from under this code burden!!!! So the jury is still out on which
> way to go... Code base reduction is the same, ease of use is somewhat better
> in Lisp, but robustness is significantly better in OCaml... It also helps to
> have the source code!!
>
> Cheers,

But, does the unsuspecting maintenance programmer know OCaml?

Cheers,
Julian.

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: SysThreads and DLL's
@ 2001-12-02  5:08 ` David McClain
From: David McClain @ 2001-12-02  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

After another day spent experimenting, I have a wonderfully working system
with OCaml now. I spawn a thread to perform OCaml initialization and then
sit in an event loop looking for request messages. These messages, sent with
PostThreadMessage() from any old thread to the OCaml event loop thread, are
simply forwarded to the OCaml DLL code. The message carries a tag indicating
which DLL routine to run, the wParam carries the ThreadID of the calling
thread. The lParam of the message carries a pointer to the actual C
arguments, and this is bundled up as an opaque type for OCaml. Inside the
DLL OCaml unmarshalls those parameters as need be.

This event loop needs to have the GetMessage() call surrounded by
enter_blocking_section() and leave_blocking_section(), as I rediscovered
last night. This isn't mentioned in the documentation, but there are a few
comments in the OCaml sources. Thanks so much for providing these sources!!
Those comments indicate, as one might expect, that only one Windows thread
at a time is permitted to churn about inside OCaml. This is achieved by
means of a Mutex object used backwards... enter_blocking_section() releases
this Mutex, and leave_blocking_section waits until the Mutex can be grabbed
again. Very cute!

Inside the DLL, OCaml can keep a stable full of threads, as it wishes, and
the incoming DLL requests can be spawned off on as many threads as you like.
After each DLL request is finished working, they need to send back a simple
reply to the waiting threads. This is done by passing an HRESULT via another
PostThreadMessage() call to the calling thread's ID as passed along in the
original request message.

The result really churns along and appears to satisfy all my needs for
interfacing with arbitrary foreign threads.

Not very messy at all, actually. The startup of a special initialization and
marshalling thread only takes a few lines of C (maybe 20 in all). The
protocol of sending messages and waiting for a response is maybe another 20
lines of C.

OCaml is sheer pleasure to program!!

Cheers,

- David McClain, Sr. Scientist, Raytheon Systems Co., Tucson, AZ

From: David McClain @ 2001-12-01  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Okay, after some experimenting here is what I found out about OCaml and
LispWorks Lisp...

1. I set up a test in both languages that executes a nearly infinite loop to
[...]

OS. The C/C++ code is roughly 3 KLOC that I wrote several years ago, plus a