* [Caml-list] notes about ocaml-3.0.4 on mac os x 10.1
@ 2001-12-16 18:47 j h woodyatt
From: j h woodyatt @ 2001-12-16 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

everyone--

So I upgraded my development environment from 3.0.2 to 3.0.4 last
night.  (Congratulations to the Caml team!)

I noticed a few things that might be of interest to people using Mac OS
X 10.1:

+ You still have to ignore the build failures around labltk-- no
surprise there.  I suppose there is a workaround for this if you're
willing to install XFree86, but I don't need one so I haven't looked for
it.  All the other tools build and install fine.

+ I tried to build ocamldoc-pre3 without success.  Apparently the
ocamldoc build tree relies on successful completion of 'make world' and,
since you don't get past the labltk build on a stock OS X box, that
won't work.  (I'm not sure what to do about this problem...)

+ The interactive runtime reports that dynamic loading isn't supported
on this platform.  Given the way the Darwin team was mucking with the
mechanism for loading dynamic libraries in OS X while 3.0.4 was in
development, I'm not surprised.  (My understanding is that it should be
pretty stable with 10.1 and beyond.)

+ The opt.opt make target in ocaml-3.0.4 encounters a mysterious failure
with camlp4.  If no one on the Caml team has seen it, I'll happily help
track it down.

Again, my congratulations to the Caml team for kicking some serious tail.

--
j h woodyatt <jhw@wetware.com>

* Re: [Caml-list] notes about ocaml-3.0.4 on mac os x 10.1
@ 2001-12-17 14:17 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2001-12-17 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: j h woodyatt; +Cc: caml-list

> + The interactive runtime reports that dynamic loading isn't supported
> on this platform.  Given the way the Darwin team was mucking with the
> mechanism for loading dynamic libraries in OS X while 3.0.4 was in
> development, I'm not surprised.  (My understanding is that it should be
> pretty stable with 10.1 and beyond.)

We've been quite conservative with dynamic loading, enabling it only
on platforms where we know for sure that it works.  We'll see if the
dynamic loader in MacOS 10.1 is standard enough to be used.

> + The opt.opt make target in ocaml-3.0.4 encounters a mysterious failure
> with camlp4.  If no one on the Caml team has seen it, I'll happily help
> track it down.

It's a known issue with the PowerPC code generator in ocamlopt.
We'll work around it at some point.  Right now, just don't do "make opt.opt",
it's optional anyway.

Thanks for your feedback,

- Xavier Leroy

* Re:  [Caml-list] notes about ocaml-3.0.4 on mac os x 10.1
@ 2001-12-17 15:27 Damien Doligez
From: Damien Doligez @ 2001-12-17 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, jhw

Hi all,

>From: j h woodyatt <jhw@wetware.com>

>I noticed a few things that might be of interest to people using Mac OS
>X 10.1:
>
>+ You still have to ignore the build failures around labltk-- no
>surprise there.  I suppose there is a workaround for this if you're
>willing to install XFree86, but I don't need one so I haven't looked for
>it.  All the other tools build and install fine.

There must be some problem with the auto-config stuff because O'Caml
is not supposed to try to build labltk if TCL/TK is not installed.

>+ The opt.opt make target in ocaml-3.0.4 encounters a mysterious failure
>with camlp4.  If no one on the Caml team has seen it, I'll happily help
>track it down.

The mysterious failure is a stack overflow due to a recursive GC
function and a rather small stack limit on Mac OS 10.1.  You can get
around this problem by raising the stack limit or by using a smaller
minor heap (with OCAMLRUNPARAM), but you'll just encounter the next
problem: out-of-range relocations in the native code (same problem as
AIX).  We don't have a solution yet, so you should just skip the "make
opt.opt" step.

Anyway, here are the notes I took when building 3.04 on Mac OS 10.1:

-----------------

Objective Caml 3.04 was tested on a PowerMac G3 under Mac OS 10.1 with
the following software installed.  It should work without problem even
if you haven't installed these packages, but in that case you will not
have the graphics library nor the labltk library.

- fink 0.3.1 (package manager)
- tcl installed via fink
- XFree 4.1
- XDarwin 1.0a3
- OroborOSX 0.75 alpha3

To compile Objective Caml 3.04, follow the instructions in file INSTALL.
The following notes refer to the steps described in that file.

configure:
  To get labltk, you need to run ./configure with these options:
  ./configure -tkdefs -I/sw/include -tklibs -L/sw/lib

make world:
  do not worry about all the error messages in interp.c

make bootstrap: no comment

make opt: no comment

make opt.opt:
  This step is optional and it does not work (yet) on Mac OS 10.
  You should just skip it.

-- Damien