* [Caml-list] advice on integrating Caml into an algorithms class?
@ 2002-01-19 23:38 Joshua Haberman
From: Joshua Haberman @ 2002-01-19 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello. I am a computer science student with a lot of experience with
procedural and object-oriented languages, mainly C, C++, and Perl.
However I have become increasingly aware of my lack of exposure to
languages from different families.

I read and experimented some with LISP and Scheme, yet they remain
somewhat of an enigma to me. Though I could write small programs to
calculate certain things, I didn't "get it," I didn't learn anything from
these languages like I hoped I would. I still can't put my finger on what
problem domains best suit LISP and why (I kept saying to myself, "this
would be so easy in Perl!").

I want to take a crack at another language that is significantly
different, and Caml seems to fit the bill. Simultaneously, I'm taking an
algorithms class this semester, and I want to somehow integrate my
exploration of alternative programming paradigms with my algorithms
class. Can anyone suggest ways I might approach this? Will the algorithms
we study have straightforward implementations in Caml?

Any general insights as well as book recommendations appreciated!

Joshua

--
Joshua Haberman  <joshua@haberman.com>

* Re: [Caml-list] advice on integrating Caml into an algorithms class?
@ 2002-01-20  7:39 ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2002-01-20  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCAML

Joshua> I want to take a crack at another language that is
Joshua> significantly different, and Caml seems to fit the
Joshua> bill. Simultaneously, I'm taking an algorithms class this
Joshua> semester, and I want to somehow integrate my exploration of
Joshua> alternative programming paradigms with my algorithms
Joshua> class. Can anyone suggest ways I might approach this? Will the
Joshua> algorithms we study have straightforward implementations in
Joshua> Caml?

Straightforward, almost certainly (Ocaml is a much better Pascal than
Pascal :)  Idiomatic, hard to say - that depends on the algorithms
(you don't write what they are) and also a bit on the instructor.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087